Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Gun best practices

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Red_head83 
#1 ·
I have a brand-new out-of-the-box Marlin 336C. This is my first rifle apart from a Marlin .22LR that I've not worried about as far as maintenance and proper pre-fire care.

So far I've found that I should break down the gun and clean it from the bore end. I've got a cleaning kit and plan on doing this first.
Second I've found that I need to de-grease the gun and reoil with an after-market gun oil.

What types of oils can I use to make my lever-action "smooth as butter"? I have various types of oil for other things like WD-40 and Sewing Machine oil but I don't want to use something that will gum up at the first sign of dust.

Before I really researched what ammunition I should use first I purchased some Remington Core-Lokt to shoot. Is this okay? I've read some different things about shooting jacketed rounds vs. Lead rounds.

Maybe a general step-by-step of what I should do before I shoot my gun the first time would be the best answer to my question! ;D

Thanks for any help ya'll can give me!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congratulations on your new rifle. You are correct that the best thing to do is clean it and lightly oil it before you shoot. Cleaning is best done from the breech to the muzzle. If using a rod you will have to disassemble the lever screw and remove the lever,bolt and ejector. Note the position of the ejector as you will want to replace it in the same orientation. it is also important to use the proper size screwdriver when loosening screws. You can pick up a basic set of gunsmith's screwdrivers and save yourself damage to the rifle. If you just want to clean the bore this can be accomplished with a boresnake in place of the rod and patches. This would not require removal and replacement of the lever, bolt and ejector. Personally I use the boresnake for 99% of my borecleaning.

I would also suggest that you use a regular gun oil and, specifically, that you do not use WD-40 if you want to avoid future problems. WD-40 has a bad reputation as a gun lubricant although it is useful if you are seeking to displace water.

If it's not smooth already your lever action should improve with use. Working the action a few hundred times while you watch your favorite show will help.

Remington Core-Lokts have been used for years to take innumerable deer. No worries.

Take some time to read your manual and look through the gunsmithing section of this forum if you have questions. This board is a great resource and people far more knowledgeable than myself are ready to answer any questions you may have or help if you find yourself in a jam.

Welcome to the board and good luck with your new rifle.

#5 ·
Mr. Tank50 has some sage advice, he saved me writing the exact same thing. I will reiterate that a Boresnake, in the appropriate caliber, is a must when working with lever guns, and any guns that cannot be readily cleaned from the breech end. I use the on the Marlins, even though I do disassemble and clean them thoroughly once a year. I also have a couple Remington 760's and the Boresnakes are really necessary in cleaning them.

Good luck, and good shooting, and we hope to see more of you on the board.

#6 ·
well there is not much more I can add that Tank didn't already cover. The best thing you did was ask on this site. You're gonna become a marlin pro in about 3 days if you just read all the different info this site has to offer. Good luck with your new rifle. My first Marlin will be here next week and I can't wait. I know how much you want to just go out and shoot it but take your time and you'll not only get to enjoy your rifle for a long time you'll learn alot about it too.

#10 ·
First of all, welcome to the world of leverguns. Second -- relax and enjoy yourself! Don't overthink things too awful much. There aren't any mistakes you can make with your rifle that will really ruin it overnight, so take your time and learn as you go along. Cleaning from the muzzle takes years to cause any harm, and oil takes years to gum things up. You'll recognize any problem long before it gets serious. People giving you dire warnings over this-and-that are often just repeating what they have been told, and don't really KNOW any better than you what is correct.

If your rifle didn't come with a manual, get one and read it. Then, read it again with rifle in hand, and study each aspect of it. It will tell you how to clean and maintain your gun -- and note, it won't say anything about any certain product being a "Must", not any certain borecleaning device and not any certain oil, nor will there be any dire warnings about any product that will gum up the works. It'll just say, "Clean and apply oil" -- and that's all it needs to say. Just about any rod/boresnake/what-have-you will do, and just about any oil will be fine.

#11 ·
It looks to be all covered so far. Any good gun oil (I like RemOil) will do - don;t over-do it, just a few drops on the end of a q-tip and oil where there are any shiny spots. I lightly oil the bolt too.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! I went out and shot this past weekend and everything was amazing! I cleaned her up and went out to do some shooting. I don't have a shooting range nearby so I just went out on the mesa and shot some cardboard targets I made. I'm impressed so far! Shot many different guns but I think I enjoyed the Marlin Experience as much or more than any I've shot so far.

My Marlin is a 336c in .30.30.

Thanks tank for the rundown! I'm taking her deer, javelina, and I might try it elk hunting this year so expect to see me on the board alot asking dumb questions about the how-tos of shooting, hunting, and loading! Amazing welcome!

Red_head83

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.