Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased my first Marlin, a .45-70 guide, blued. I've never owned a rifle like this. I didn't get through a box of ammo, Hornady 325's FTX, before my shoulder told me to rethink my strategy. And my index finger was uniquely sore from the trigger guard smacking it. I am used to holding a rifle securely but somewhat relaxed. So the first issue with this gun is how to hold it to handle the recoil. (I shot 8" groups at 50 yds., standing, without a rest in winds of 30 and gusts in the 40's. Great fun.) I love this gun and will hunt whitetail with it this year. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
321 Posts
KShunter said:
Recently I purchased my first Marlin, a .45-70 guide, blued. I've never owned a rifle like this. I didn't get through a box of ammo, Hornady 325's FTX, before my shoulder told me to rethink my strategy. And my index finger was uniquely sore from the trigger guard smacking it. I am used to holding a rifle securely but somewhat relaxed. So the first issue with this gun is how to hold it to handle the recoil. (I shot 8" groups at 50 yds., standing, without a rest in winds of 30 and gusts in the 40's. Great fun.) I love this gun and will hunt whitetail with it this year. Any suggestions??
Hold it as you would any rifle, if recoil bothers you, try some remington 405 gr factory ammo, real fun to shoot, and much less recoil to boot.this way you well get to know your rifle :)..congrates on your marlin, i just love mine too...Lou

·
Registered
321 Posts
Or you can upgrade the recoil pad as well?..try the 405's first..recoil is about 40-50% less..regards

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can also start reloading.

That way, you can adjust the recoil from puff loads all the way up to some real tooth chippers. I have found that you can kill pretty much anything with loads that keep recoil manageable.

It will also get better the more you shoot and get used to your gun.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I just shot my new 45/70 for the first time Saturday, 50 handloads off the bench were about all I could enjoy, and I'm still a little sore. All four handloads were well above "Springfield" levels, and while I learned a lot, I've decided the next batch will be on the meeker side of things.

I didn't have any problems with my knuckles getting bashed, but I did move my right hand as far back as it could go and still reach the trigger face.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I like the Limbsaver pad (non-slipon). However, any recoil pad will add length to your stock so if you are using a scope make sure it doesn't increase your eye-relief further than you can adjust for.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
KShunter,

My first Marlin this time around was an 1895G Ported Guide Gun. I bet if I look back at my first 100 posts I could find the one where I complained about my fingers getting beat up in the lever. I complained about my index finger when in fact it was my middle finger. I wish I knew what changed, maybe I just got use to it but I really think I just hold the rifle different now.

I'm typically at my range every Saturday and maybe Sunday. I always shoot my 45/70, 444 & 450.

To answer your question on how to hold. Disclaimer: not saying it is correct but it works for me.

I am right handed....... I hold the rifle with my right (lever) hand firmly against my shoulder and I do mean firmly. My left hand is basically supporting the rifle (I'm not using it to pull the rifle back against my shoulder). I can shoot the 45/70 all day long from the bench.

I'm sure this method isn't used by everyone but I've got to say I stopped beating up my lever hand and accuracy (for me) hasn't changed.

1895Gunner

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a new(to me) 1895 GS with the straight stock and smaller lever. I first got a GBL which I really like, but I wanted a stainless guide gun, got lucky at the gun show, now I have two! The smaller lever really beats up my knuckle on my middle finger, so I'm going to get a big loop for it too.
Try the Remington 405's, you'll like them a lot more than the LE 325's, just an easy push. They will make you smile!
Enjoy your new gun. I sure am!
Thanks, Robert

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
papajohn said:
I just shot my new 45/70 for the first time Saturday, 50 handloads off the bench were about all I could enjoy, and I'm still a little sore. All four handloads were well above "Springfield" levels, and while I learned a lot, I've decided the next batch will be on the meeker side of things.

I didn't have any problems with my knuckles getting bashed, but I did move my right hand as far back as it could go and still reach the trigger face.

??? 50 rounds on your first trip with your new 45-70 ???
Sounds like you need to add some powder! ;D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
1895Gunner said:
I'm thinking PJ was using his 357 powder load, sore shoulder and all. ::)
Ahem. 300-grain slugs over 57.0 grains of H335 and 44.0 grains of Reloder Ten, then 400 grain slugs atop 30 grains of 5744, and 44 grains of Reloder Seven. I was so punch-drunk after 50 rounds I don't even remember driving home.

I can't wait to shoot it again. 8)

If my chiropractor knew what I was doing he'd be planning a trip to Hawaii. ::)

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I shot high pressure loads for years proving without a doubt just what kind of a man I am. ::) ;). My young son wanted to shoot, but I wasn't allowing a 70# kid to pursue that. Enter reloading 101. Get into it and you can make this gun the funnest plinker you would ever believe. There is simply no reason for anyone to suffer a detached retina shooting this gun practicing up for a whitetail. If you are close to Salina, stop buy, give me a PM and I'll show you what I'm talking about. My son who is now just shy of 100# can shoot the silly CB all day with 405gr. boolits. They are cheap and he has become an expert (certainly at least for a 12 year old). I can strengthen the loads a little for hunting, or use them as they are. He can shoot a number of guns, but he is currently saving for his own 45-70. Wants it to be 'his". Those higher pressure loads are great for hunting, but the number i shoot anymore is very few. Maybe a few to impress my friends. ;D

An inexpensive recoil pad will certainly help as well.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I think I'll head to the range tomorrow with my latest batch of 45/70 reloads.......ten grains of Unique, and 16 grains of 2400. 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't reload but want to. That was one reason I bought this rifle from reading how much guys liked to mess with loading it, how accurate and fun it was. And I figured if for some reason I would never be able to buy a rifle again, this would be the one to get. And it's my middle finger getting smacked of course, I don't know why I said index. The recoil doesn't bother me, it just made me think about how I was holding it. I'll try pulling back with the right hand a bit. That makes sense somehow. The LGS only carried two types of ammo. I forget what the other one was but it was a flat bullet, no jacket. Time to do some shooting. Saw a small 8 point in velvet. Funny looking little fella, antlers all seemed to go up not forward, like a basket on his head.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try the 45-70 cowboy out sometime ;D. It has no recoil pad and light weight to boot. I hold firm to shoulder and lean into it. I haven't t tried bench shooting, but I have used shooting sticks. I shot 50 heavy loads the first time I took it out and was pretty bruised up. I was instantly hooked though and haven't shot any of my other rifles since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts