Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For as long as I can remember I have been into black rifle stuff so the Marlin forum is quite the change.
Anyway I am from the Upstate in South Carolina where I work in new home construction and sales. I have a hobby knife making business and I love to hunt and watch my Clemson Tigers

So I am here because I had decided to do a big bore AR in .458 and now somehow have ended up wanting to do a 1895 45-70.
Needless to say I've been lurking for a little while and I pretty much know what I want it's now just executing the plan.

So my first Marlin ever will be a 1895G. I'd really like a JM rifle to start with but I can get local a new Remlin that is a "good one" $539.00
I plan to go through and deburr the action and polish as needed,cut the barrel to 16.5 and replace the mag tube with a new cut to match one.
I will shorten up the stock 2in.. The idea is to get as compact as I can go without being a SBR.

The last two steps is where I am stuck..1st I will Cerakote the rifle but I don't know if I am going to stick with natural wood and a classic black or just camo the whole deal.
2nd. Is what sights. I don't care for the stock ones and I haven't decided if I will put Aimpoint on it

I think I will like my first Marlin .

For what its worth this is going to be my Hog exterminator and maybe short range whitetail and I will handload.
Also I will be doing all the work myself ( I have the tools and knowledge so only my wife need be worried)

Well thanks for providing a great forum I hope that I can add to it

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Welcome from Rock Hill SC! If you aren't too far away you're welcome to come over and handle some 45-70's, I have a few of them and they vary in length from 26" to 18" guide guns. That said, I have a few 16" Marlins if you want to get the feel of what they will be like if you cut them down!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello, also from upstate sc.

Just my opinion, I would go with black and wood. I never cared for red dots on my 1895g, and since most aimpoint mounts are designed for the AR platform, it would be mounted high, too high IMO.

On my 1895G, I have settled in with a Leupold scout scope mounted in low rings on an xs scout rail, with the rail being relieved for the scope to clear. I can barely fit a butler creek scope cap between the scope and receiver, then back that up with xs ghost ring sights.

That rifle serves me equally well hog hunting in the low country swamps, and bear hunting in the mountains (Francis Marion nf, marsh WMA, Jocasee gorge)

Even with the 18.5" barrel, my guide gun is shorter than a 16" barreled AR with the stock in a comfortable shooting position. But I am debating cutting mine to 16.25".

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome from Rock Hill SC! If you aren't too far away you're welcome to come over and handle some 45-70's, I have a few of them and they vary in length from 26" to 18" guide guns. That said, I have a few 16" Marlins if you want to get the feel of what they will be like if you cut them down!

Thanks for the offer I have nothing taking me that way but maybe I can come up with an excuse. I'm up in North Greenville Co Tigerville area.
Honestly it's been a long time since there was a rifle or pistol I've been this excited about

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys real quick ..

What is a fair price for a 1979 JM Marked 1895.

20rds down the tube, barrel already cut and XS DRC sights installed action and trigger work already done.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Upstate Sc:hmmmm: Black rifles:vollkommenauf: What the heck has happen to South Carolina? Looks like a few Yanks out of the NE have moved down with some of those gun makers. Not so sure the trade off is fair but what ever.:biggrin:

Welcome to MO from Micanopy Florida.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upstate Sc:hmmmm: Black rifles:vollkommenauf: What the heck has happen to South Carolina? Looks like a few Yanks out of the NE have moved down with some of those gun makers. Not so sure the trade off is fair but what ever.:biggrin:

Welcome to MO from Micanopy Florida.
If it makes you feel better I am originally a 5th generation Cracker. I was born in Haines City.
I was working with my dad in High Springs the day Bundy was executed so I know your area it's just been a little while

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts