Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend i picked up a Marlin in 25-20 its about 95%. It cost me $400. It has a lyman reciever sight, 2 boxes of ammo and a set of dies.
How do ya'll think i did?

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you like it - you did good I would say. So when you gonna shoot it? Le t us know what it is like.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: I'm not very familiar with this caliber other than I think it was dicontinued by marlin sometime between WWI & WWII. If I am right on this then you have purchased a dandy rifle in the condition you mentioned. I'm curious if the ammo is old ammo or can it still be purchased today? Didn't the Winchester lever rifle and the Marlin lever in this caliber use a slightly different cartridge? It all sounds interesting to me and I guess someone here will educate me on this rifle or I will look it up somewhere. Is this rifle a jack rabbit shooting son of a gun???
JFrank, I think you had a 30-30 converted to the 307! Last I heard you had not had a chance to use it much if at all. Any chance that has changed? I'm still very interested in doing one of these custom conversions with a Marlin and giving it to my oldest son as a birthday/Christmas present one day. I'm just kind of waiting to hear how it all works out. One problem I see with this idea is actually being able to give it up to my son once I have the conversion done. The problem will occur because I will have the dies made and work up all the loads myself and will without doubt fall in love with the dang thing. What a pa does for the sons!!! Let us know more about the new marlin as you find out things. Yes, I'm jeolous, Bestlever

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Best Lever asks some good questions. Can someone provide a link that describes this round in detail? I know this round exists but that's about all I know.

SS

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bestlever it's good to hear from you. The info i have found on this gun is Marlin made it about 10 years ago. made it for six years. i looked at cabela's and they had ammo for it $30 for 50 rounds. I will be reloading and the components are relatively cheap from midway.
As for the 307 i finally finished the stock. now its a beautiful rifle. i have started reloading for it but am not set on a load yet. The one thing i did notice is the factory rounds stick when i fire them. I haven't talked to nonneman about this yet. Turkey season keeps getting in the way.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Which 1894 is it? Is it one of the newer models, or one of the late 1800's-early 1900's models?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have been able to find 25-20 in this area without too much trouble. It is an absolutely fun round to plink with. You can shoot it all day long. Brass is available if you reload. I am sure you will enjoy the rifle and I know I love my 100 year old version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts