Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In these times where you usually can't find what you need when you need it, I have been working with what I have on hand when I run out of something. Sometimes, that's not a bad thing.

Over the past few years, I have been using AA-1680 in my 32-20. The velocity and accuracy were great. However, the load was hard on the cases. When I ran out of 1680 I had to work with other powders I have.

I have a good supply of IMR-Blue that I use for heavy cast bullets in a T/C Contender 30 Carbine. I decided to give it a try. After several test loads and primer combinations, I found what is now my go to load for 32-20 Rifle.

Using the Accurate bullet mold below, 7.5 gr of IMR Blue with a small pistol mag primer has proved to be a very accurate and long case life combination. I tried standard small pistol primer and found I was not getting the case neck seal I was looking for. Switching to magnum primers did the trick.

Velocity is 1,450 with great accuracy, no leading, and the IMR-Blue leaves behind less carbon for a quick and easy clean up. There is plenty of room to go faster with the powder. However, now that 32-20 brass is difficult to find, I plan to stay with the mid velocity load to get the most out of my cases. At 1,450 fps the bullet stays supersonic out to 130 yards. More than enough range for peep sights.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I’m doubly interested in your post, there’s some wisdom in your experience. I plan on getting a .327 FedMag rifle and using AA9 for jacketed and was wondering what other powder besides Tite Group, Trail Boss, etc., would be suitable for powder-coated cast. The IMR Blue sounds like it burns a little cleaner?
The AA1680 is supposed to be great for loading .375 Winchester. If I find any of it, I’ll be happy to know it can also work for the .327 FedMag.
I never considered switching to magnum primers rather than more powder to solve case mouth sealing issues. Then again, I’m still a newer reloader.
Thanks,
—Griff

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I’m doubly interested in your post, there’s some wisdom in your experience. I plan on getting a .327 FedMag rifle and using AA9 for jacketed and was wondering what other powder besides Tite Group, Trail Boss, etc., would be suitable for powder-coated cast. The IMR Blue sounds like it burns a little cleaner?
The AA1680 is supposed to be great for loading .375 Winchester. If I find any of it, I’ll be happy to know it can also work for the .327 FedMag.
I never considered switching to magnum primers rather than more powder to solve case mouth sealing issues. Then again, I’m still a newer reloader.
Thanks,
—Griff
jgriffin1988,

To add a little more color to my journey/experiences with the 32-20, AA-1680 took a much stiffer load to seal the case well in the chamber. The magnum pistol powder needed more pressure. My best accuracy with a plain base cast bullet was using Winchester Small Pistol primers, 15.0 gr of AA-1680, and a GT Bullets 100 gr HP sized to .313. Velocity is 1,720 fps out of my Win 1892 with a 24" barrel. However, only about 4 - 5 loads before splitting the necks with Starline nickel plated brass and less with standard brass.

I would suggest shotgun powders like Unique/IMR-Unequal, Herco, and Blue Dot/IMR-Blue will perform better with cast. All are easy to ignite and standard primers are all you need.

For jacketed bullets in the 327 Fed Mag, any magnum pistol powders should work well as long as you do not try to reduced loads. Magnum pistol powders need magnum pressures to burn correctly and perform best plus a hotter magnum primer.

The 327 Fed Mag is a great cartridge. You must be the owner of a Henry lever or you have something harder to find than chicken lips. Not many chambered in that cartridge.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I have a SP-101 with a 3” barrel. My next new rifle will be the Henry .327 FedMag. I’ll likely get the 20” barrel but prefer the 18” like the 1894C has. Henry offers a 16”, but I’ll need to handle that one before I make a decision.
Since I’m leaving my company next Tuesday over their covid vax mandate, a new rifle is low on the necessity list. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a SP-101 with a 3” barrel. My next new rifle will be the Henry .327 FedMag. I’ll likely get the 20” barrel but prefer the 18” like the 1894C has. Henry offers a 16”, but I’ll need to handle that one before I make a decision.
Since I’m leaving my company next Tuesday over their covid vax mandate, a new rifle is low on the necessity list. We shall see.

The 20" barrel has a great balance. Same octagonal barral as the 45 Colt. The small bore makes it muzzle heavy for great stability. A wonderful NRA Pistol Cartridge Lever Silhouette rifle.

Reactions: jgriffin1988

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Pappy, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a 32-20 in good working order, no sir. That’s the thing with these levers…they’re a marvelous blend of form and function, in fact I often call them functional art.
If you YouTube anything, look for Leverguns50. A very down-to-earth fan of leverguns. That guy shoots some hyphenated levers and one I distinctly remember is his 25-20, and the amazing 16+ inches of penetration in ballistics gelatin using good bullets.
Lever life is good!

·
Super Moderator
13,657 Posts
Pappy, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a 32-20 in good working order, no sir. That’s the thing with these levers…they’re a marvelous blend of form and function, in fact I often call them functional art.
If you YouTube anything, look for Leverguns50. A very down-to-earth fan of leverguns. That guy shoots some hyphenated levers and one I distinctly remember is his 25-20, and the amazing 16+ inches of penetration in ballistics gelatin using good bullets.
Lever life is good!
I was impressed until he wounded that buck with is 25/20... there are a lot of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things, and that was one of them.

Is this 32/20 a barrel for your CPA Pappy? And yes, this is me trying to get you to spend my money for yet another barrel. 🤣

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was impressed until he wounded that buck with is 25/20... there are a lot of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things, and that was one of them.

Is this 32/20 a barrel for your CPA Pappy? And yes, this is me trying to get you to spend my money for yet another barrel. 🤣
Travis,

This one is a Win 1892 TD. My vavorite NRA Pistol Cartridge Lever caliber. Quick, accurate, and no recoil.

I do have a 32-20 CPA barrel with true 32 cal grooves that uses a 205 gr breech seated taper bullet. Outstanding accuracy at 100 off the bench with smokeless. Not one of my more frequently used.

For a 32 cal, I really have not found anything that is more versitle than the 32-40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts