·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Cute chick! Mother is pretty cute, too! LOL

Reactions: Pig Ninja

·
Registered
21,891 Posts
I'm not chicken literate but I always wanted to have some in the back yard. My bro in TX has a bunch and he likes raising them for eggs.

Watched the mother Canada goose here on my pond hatch five goslings yesterday. Fun to watch.

They'll be coming to the front patio soon so she an show them off to us. I like how the goose and the gander keep the little ones between them. Gotta watch out for that Great Blue Heron that likes to eat them if it can.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Growing up, my mother raised 500 + chickens every year. We butchered them for sale and our own use of course. As a young kid, you can only imagine what it might have been like to be served a meal of fresh fried chicken after having cleaned a couple of hundred of them earlier during the day !!!!!:oops:o_O
Eggs bought our groceries and the chickens provided meat and cash for new school clothes. All in all quite an enterprise. However, it dulled my taste for fried chicken over the years.
Not to mention needing to clean the chicken barns by hand in the middle of the winter. I believe that half my brain cells suffered permanent damage from shucking chicken poop. After a couple of hours in the barns, I felt intoxicated and not in a good way.

Just agreeing - chickens are not pets - @cajun56 is absolutely right!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Sapphire Gem?

Reactions: Pig Ninja

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the pet thing, to me they're just barnyard buzzards but the wife has to name them. Doesn't stop her from eating them as we have already put 6 in the freezer!

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I agree with the pet thing, to me they're just barnyard buzzards but the wife has to name them. Doesn't stop her from eating them as we have already put 6 in the freezer!
You have a rare one there! Keep her.

Reactions: cajun56
1 - 16 of 16 Posts