Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Wow! That one is more powerful and faster than my 1969 El Camino with a nicely built 350 under the hood...

Not sure I like the styling, but it's not all bad. For a new car.

Guy

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That's cool!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
More than a little pricy but the specs look great. A 160 mph or so if I am following this. The El Camino still owns the looks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More than a little pricy but the specs look great. A 160 mph or so if I am following this. The El Camino still owns the looks.
Should be well past 160mph, older version set a world record of 271kph or 168mph with only 297kw or 398hp, this model has 430kw or 576hp might top 180mph.

Ford hasn't made a hot pickup or ute as we call them for a few years, last one was a 315kw offering, not quite as quick as its turbo 6 stable mate but if anyone want a modern El Rancho
PerformanceDrive ? 2012 FPV GS Ute FG MKII review (video)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I love to watch car shows and mentioned to the Wife I would rather pay $30.000.00 for an old muscle car like a 69 or 70's model El Camino, than the same for a new car. I told her that the old El Camino would only go up in value while the new car would only go down. She laughed at me and said nice try but I'm not driving a CATRUCK around. I was totally disappointed.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm not sure why the El Camino which is a chopped station wagon is so
popular. It's a 2 seater with a pickup truck bed. Holden (Chevy in OZ)
has been making them forever.
I think they are cool, I just don't see the utility in them compared to a
regular truck which can haul a lot more stuff.

Reactions: LT

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Not my cup of tea! Personally, I'll take the old school El Camino over that ... any day!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Its an old mans truck, you don' have to hop so high to get in them. You can roll in and out. LOL. Back in the late sixties and early 70's it didn't take much HP to light them tires up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure why the El Camino which is a chopped station wagon is so
popular. It's a 2 seater with a pickup truck bed. Holden (Chevy in OZ)
has been making them forever.
I think they are cool, I just don't see the utility in them compared to a
regular truck which can haul a lot more stuff.
Sedan comfort and performance with a very big trunk.
Ford has stuck with a live leaf sprung rear axel in their version. Load capacity is 2700lbs or better than anything in the F150 range, the reason we haven't had the 150 available in Aus for decades.
I guess they thought a pickup that didn't ride as well, was slower, used more fuel and couldn't carry as much would be a hard sell at a higher price.
The GM product has a lower load capacity 1500lbs, they did offer a 5 seat version a few years ago along with 4wd. Ford hasn't offered a 4wd version since the early 70s although they have done a few models with a 4-6" lift plenty of under body protection and a diff lock to fully lock the rear axel.

They are also cheaper than their sedan based counterparts by about 20% when fitted with the same drive train.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I love to watch car shows and mentioned to the Wife I would rather pay $30.000.00 for an old muscle car like a 69 or 70's model El Camino, than the same for a new car. I told her that the old El Camino would only go up in value while the new car would only go down. She laughed at me and said nice try but I'm not driving a CATRUCK around. I was totally disappointed.
My sentiments too! At the price tag on that new Ute, I'd rather build several older cars, and have money left over! I've got less than $20k in all three of my rigs, and I bet they'll be worth more in 5 years than that Ute. Might be worth nearly as much already, once they drive it off the showroom floor!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'd still rather have a full size truck, but if they can realistically plow with one
them I'm all for it.
Up here we get a ton of snow so plowing is a must.

I just had to post this

El Cam with plow.png

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Holden line, and most Australian builds in general, but the lack of success in the bring back GTO shows that the good ol' USA is not accepting of the design. We had a friends late model GTO on corner scales once and the car was amazingly balanced...only problem was is it was still set up for a LH Driver in the balance department.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a big fan of the Holden line, and most Australian builds in general, but the lack of success in the bring back GTO shows that the good ol' USA is not accepting of the design. We had a friends late model GTO on corner scales once and the car was amazingly balanced...only problem was is it was still set up for a LH Driver in the balance department.
GTO was a 2 door variant of the basic design, caprice, SS and Pontiac G8 are all sedan versions, interestingly the current camaro is built on the same holden designed platform.
Given the price these have all sold for in the USA you could probably take a minimum 20% off the Aus prices. Basic models with a 6 cylinder engine producing just under 300hp are not much over 30k.

Price is steep for the GTS but it does produce more HP than a corvette, the engine is the same as fitted to the CTS-V and provides similar performance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
GTO was a 2 door variant of the basic design, caprice, SS and Pontiac G8 are all sedan versions, interestingly the current camaro is built on the same holden designed platform.
Given the price these have all sold for in the USA you could probably take a minimum 20% off the Aus prices. Basic models with a 6 cylinder engine producing just under 300hp are not much over 30k.

Price is steep for the GTS but it does produce more HP than a corvette, the engine is the same as fitted to the CTS-V and provides similar performance.
I'm not arguing the validity of Australian products, I liked the G8 too and it's now defunct. The Aussies know how to milk an LS, and a 351 Cleveland for that matter :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not arguing the validity of Australian products, I liked the G8 too and it's now defunct. The Aussies know how to milk an LS, and a 351 Cleveland for that matter :)
Certainly no problem with design and development down under, although given Ford GM and Toyota are all ceasing local production within the next 3 years its seems even they couldn't argue the validity of an Aus product.
The Ford boys don't go to bad with engines, they have stuck with the old inline six as the basic power plant for the falcon. Evolution of the engine in early US mustangs and falcons. Now a twin overhead cam 4.0L produces just short of 300hp in standard trim, turbo version is over 400hp, a few modified builds getting around that top the 1000hp mark.
The current Ford competitor for the GM GTS uses a supercharged version of the 5.0L coyote, ford claim 351kw but this is the minimum output under poor conditions. It runs a over boast feature and in back to back dyno runs against the LSA powered GTS has topped it in peak output by around 7%. Would put the flywheel figure around the 600hp mark.
Will be a said day when they close shop but looks like they are at least keeping their design and research facilities.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts