Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 1895 CB that I bought from Horseshoe arrived at our hunting lease thanks to a friend that lived near Horseshoe and offered to do the delivery for me.
I had not held one before and was amazed at how comparatively light and handy it feels for a 26" octagon barreled 45-70.
It came with a big 6X scope which I immediately removed and replaced with the original Marbles rear sight.
I would like a better rear sight, maybe a Skinner or maybe a Williams or Lyman. There aren't any organized long range shoots in my area and I have many other rifles for hunting so it will just be a fun gun.
I like the dovetailed no ramp front sight and it is fairly tall. I need to do some measurement of the present rear and compare it to height of a Skinner to know if I should get the regular or the Express which is lower.
I'd love to hear what others have done with their CB sights and why.
Here's a pic so you'll know it is "for real".

IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1434.JPG

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey Billy Jack,

What a great looking CB!

Good for you!

I wound up with a Skinner Express, and a Skinner Front Sight. If you were to cut the Skinner Front sight to the height of the "bottom of the bead" of the Factory Front Sight (approximately 3/32"), you should be "good" to the 200 yard line, with either the 350 or 405 gr LFP, and the 13-14 gr of Unique/Universal Clays load (15.0 gr of HS 6). About 1150 fps.

You may want to install the sights first, to get a good fifty yard zero.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Holliday

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
Very nice, I'm happy for you, especially because I know how much I have wanted one. One day, when it is time, I'll have one. Even if I have to build it.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Depends on how far out you want to go. A Skinner is probably from 0-200(?). A Lyman or Williams receiver peep a bit further, and MVA for the long stuff. Skinner front gets my vote regardless of rear peep sight.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think for long range fun I'll stick with my Buffalo Classic with the Williams sight.
This cowboy rifle is so sleek and carries so well I believe it is destined for a nice Skinner sight front and rear.

Horsehoe was absolutely right when he said it was a nice gun! It is better than I expected and I am joyous!

I spent the evening going through the rifle. It is too new (2006) and simply has not been shot enough for it to be all smoothed up nd broken in.

I smoothed the trigger sear and changed the angle getting the trigger from 6 lbs down to 3.5 lbs. I increased the angle on the lever plunger to stop the lever from popping open when the gun was shot. I used Kroil and steel wool on a couple of very light freckled spots on the mag tube and barrel. I smoothed up the edges around the loading gate and filed down the back of the loading spring a little to smooth up the loading process. I took a little dry steel wool to the stock and fore end to take a little gloss off the wood and then gave it a good Johnson waxing. I did a complete cleaning and inspection job and cleaned the bore a little (waiting until I shoot up what's left of my factory Rem 405 gr JSP before I do a good copper fouling cleaning so I can start shooting 405 gr LFN-GC lead bullets).

Oh BTW right after I took the scope off and reinstalled the Marbles Rear sight I shot one round and it hit 6" low at 50 yards. I adjusted the sight one time and then put 2 holes in the bullseye about an inch and a quarter apart at 50 yards.

I can't wait to see what I can eventually do with some of my lead bullet loads, a better sight, and some more time with the rifle.

In case you can't tell I love this rifle.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
What's not to love?!?! :)

Reactions: minute-of-berm

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Congrats on that new CB!!! You could also consider a tang sight for it. Especially if you plan on shooting it at longer ranges!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mazer is that a Lyman receiver sight? My CB is not drilled and tapped on the side for a Lyman 66. do they make a Lyman that uses the rear scope mount holes like the Williams?
I am considering the tang sight.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
BillyJack, I had my local gunsmith drill and tap the receiver to be able to mount the Lyman L.66, why he was at it, I had him drill and tap the tang for an MVA sight as well

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Williams FP-TK 336 on order.
Decided I'd want a little more flexibility on front sight height and on extended ranges.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with the Skinner peep & tried the factory front sight. The factory front sight would not come up enough at 50yds, so installed a Skinner front sight.

I had to filed down to .250" to with rear sight all the way down to get 50yd sight in. Skinner should be good to 200 yards. I am going to buy a MVA #108 sight for longer range.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Billy Jack,
Congratulations on your acquisition! I got a CB a couple of years ago and promptly put a Skinner Express sight on it. That and copious amounts of practice have gotten me to be a relatively decent shot. I got my masters degree at Texas Tech; sure miss Lubbock. I live in Austin, the liberal capital of Texas. I miss sanity. About the Cowboy, I'm sure you'll be very happy whichever sight you choose. I shoot nothing but 405 grain cast, which I mold myself, and the rifle seems to like them. Congrats again!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doketx my oldest, best, and most liberal friend also lives in Austin.
I also have settled on the 405 gr cast although I am not casting........yet.
I ended up putting a Williams Peep on my Cowboy and like it so far.
I only wish there was some organized long range shooting somewhere near Lubbock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts