Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys - This is the product family that I've been hinting at the last few weeks.

Adam

JUST RELEASED 5/18/18: CloverLeaf Receiver Peep Sights | Marlin & Henry | Brass, Black and Stainless
Innovation, attention to detail, uncompromising functionality, stunning good looks, and "clover leaf groups" precision put our RPP CloverLeaf Receiver Peep Sights in a class by themselves. Shoot beautifully.

The peep sight has been mired in compromise for decades. Traditional receiver mounted rear sights are too tall, forcing you to go on a hunt for a suitable front sight when you'd rather be hunting. Delicate aperture stems are exposed to rough handling and prone to snagging. Course adjustments use fiddly double set screws that often vibrate loose. Blued steel bases rust and lose their luster. And what aperture to choose? A .095" is precise, but worthless in low light hunting conditions. A Ghost ring is fast and bright, but not very useful for precision long shots.

At Ranger Point Precision, we believe that bad traditions should be rethought. We didn't negotiate. We didn't compromise. We crushed it.

In the Package ($119 to start): All peep sights come with one base/windage screw, one aperture spring/one elevation screw, two mounting screws, one allen wrench. Note: Open sight option comes with one .95" aperture screwed into the open peep hole, additional sizes available as an add-on.

CLOVERLEAF RECEIVER PEEP SIGHTS KEY FEATURES:

* Available for Marlin 336, Marlin 308, Marlin 338, Marlin 444, Marlin 1894, Marlin 1895, Marlin 450M, Henry H009 30-30, Henry H010 45/70, Henry Big Boy Steel rifles (all calibers)

* Sleek, low profile, snag-free winged base secures the aperture against damage and zero loss while presenting an elegant--dare we say sexy?-profile.

* Low aperture height elevations (from .26" - .36"). If you like your front sight, you can keep your front sight. Seriously. No, we mean it.

* Clearly marked, scope-like windage and elevation adjustments are quick and precise

* Patent pending CloverLeaf aperture option provides an exceptionally large, bright target picture while still allowing for scope-like, precise shot placement

* Patent pending one-piece aperture spring assembly offers robust, repeatable adjustment, and interchangeability between all bases and peep sight styles (cloverleaf fiber optic (yellow or orange), cloverleaf, and traditional open aperture (.60", .95" and .125" aperture options)

* Matte blasted sighting channel greatly reduces reflective light interference

* Anodized 7075 billet or lacquered brass bar stock bases look great for a lifetime

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW!!!
Great job Adam!
Thank you sir! Been thinking through a better design for quite some time. Local testers and team enthusiasm confirmed we had come up with something really good.

·
Administrator
27,450 Posts
A +1 WOW!

You are one talented man, Adam. These days my eyes are good for 100yds with peeps... but geez, that would be awesome on my 444P!!!

Jack

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A +1 WOW!

You are one talented man, Adam. These days eyes are good for 100yds with peeps... but geez, that would be awesome on my 444P!!!

Jack
You are too kind Jack. Thank you. As they say it takes a village. Our village is small but well armed with more than just firearms and ammo but brains, and a passion, and a never-ending need to create something new and exciting. We literally all dream about new ideas, brainstorm ideas over bourbon when gathered, of course, and have more ideas than we can deliver as fast as our valued customers want. If only there were 48 hours in one day.

On another note, we have lots of ammo and 3 safes full of firearms. Here to protect and serve and help the rest of you do the same.:fight:

·
Premium Member
24,404 Posts
I'm not really a guy that shoots iron sights in a hunting situation
any more because of my eyesight these days.
But this looks like something that could help a guy out.
I can't wait to see it, and try it in person.
I may still be limited in distance, but a better sight is always
a big plus.
It's hard to find a sight set-up that works well under the trees
in low light, and at longer distances in sun-set.
Again, seeing this, I am anxious.....

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See you tomorrow! Look forward to mtg finally and showing you some of our stuff in person.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good. I will be ordering for a Henry BB
Big Boys will be added very soon. Henry 30-30 and 45/70 are available now.

Adam

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered a set, look forward to seeing how it works with the original front sight on my 1894.
We look forward to hearing your feedback.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gents, thanks for the props. I feel compelled to talk about this sight system a bit more, outside the marketing material. I've always enjoyed sharing details of my design process here, and many of you seem to enjoy the insight, so here's an interesting detail:

During this process, I was fortunate enough to have a happy accident. This never happens to me. Most of my accidents are the kind that eat expensive carbide end mills or material. The aperture of our sight is machined as one piece with the adjustment deck, as well as a spring and pivot that fits into the separate sight base. This arrangement eliminates the need for any small parts, save the adjustment screws themselves. But the design, as originally conceived, would have required a coil spring for lateral (windage) tension. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, as I hate tiny, easy to lose parts, but I was running a prototype on the CNC when I encountered a nasty Oops! A bad bit of code had the mill on a wrong path, which resulted in a much narrower strip of metal for the spring leaf than intended. It was supposed to be a wide, flat leaf like a miniature version of a factory rear sight spring, which would only bend vertically.

For a second I was upset, and then as I looked at the destroyed part I quickly realized the accident was actually a good thing. I went back to the drawing board on the whole design, and a couple of days later I had another prototype. The new design is a much more intricate piece of coding and machining, but the final product requires no tiny springs, no opposing set screws, and no tricky assembly. It is the epitome of elegant simplicity. I want to feel proud of it, but I can't take much credit. My stupid robot gave me the idea.

AD

·
Premium Member
24,404 Posts
It's late and I'm beat, but I wanted to stop by here and say that I
enjoyed my visit with Adam today and he brought some really neat
guns to check out.
I hope next time he can stay longer and we can hit the range/do some
hunting.

Guys, I haven't used my sight yet, but after seeing it, I will say it's
likely the most simple design I have ever seen, and nobody makes an
apeture like these.
Like I said, I'm not a guy that uses sights all that much, but everybody needs
one good iron sighted gun and this is what I am switching to.
I'll have more feedback once I get to the range with it.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow Adam this looks like another homerun for RPP and something that is going to give the Skinner sight some very serious competition! Thinking of ordering one for my Henry Mares Leg SBR project and selling the Skinner sight instead.
Thanks Kingstrider. We're off to a pretty good launch, so we'll see how it goes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't spend much time thinking about competition. When I see something that has room for improvement I just start working the problem. In the case of this new receiver sight, I'd say the idea was percolating for over a year, until finally a workable solution presented itself. The end result was even better than I'd hoped, checking all my boxes with a simple and robust two piece design.

At any rate, more choices is a good thing for Marlin owners.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ha! I just happen to have a gorgeous 450BM lever gun that doesn't have a dovetail for a rear sight! Looks like a nice alternative to a scope! Although after shooting yesterday, it is dang accurate as it sits!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts