Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nice weather's had me wanting to spend more time out in my little shop so I deceided to make myself a new camp box.
I have a bigger one I made years ago, but since most of my camping these days is just for a few days with mostly my pot-lickers for company I wanted a smaller more compact version.
Here's what I came up with.

No fancy dove-tails, but I did use rabbid joints on all the outside conections.

Has a sliding door in the lid for utinsils and the cutting board doubles as a divider for the stuff down below. (You know how pots and pans don't like to stack togeather very well.)

Shop towels =check=, TP =check=, Hatchet =check=, and plenty of room for some canned goods. What more does a guy need?

Thanks for looking.
Charlie

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Very nice! I think the only thing you're missing is the kitchen sink!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Wish I had the patience (not to mention skillz) to do that!

Nice job.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marlinluvr said:
Very nice! I think the only thing you're missing is the kitchen sink!
LOL,,, funny you should say that. My big box has a lower compartment built to fit a Rubbermaid dish pan.

With a small camp, I really keep it simple. Foods usually cooked at home (Red beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage is a fav. 8) ) and the pots and pans are washed in water heated in the coffee pot.

The camp box came out so well I decided it needed it's own camp knife so I'm just finishing up some Cocobolo scales on one of Green Rivers Belt Knife blades.
I'll post a better pic of it when I get the sheath done, but here's a pic of it with a skinner I'm working on too.

I'm far from being a custom knife maker, but these little projects keep me busy and make great gifts.
Again,,, thanks for looking.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
MyDogsHunt ...

Excellent work my man ... very nice and well planned. We camp too and I might do the same to hold some of my Dutch ovens, etc. If things go well this week, I'll buy a compressor and get to building one.

...I love the knives ... you ever sell any? I like the Cocobola camp knife.

bjm

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Yet another idea that I will have to copy as this is what I have been needing since my boys have left home. NICE JOB!! ;)
Can you give us some deminsions. Thanks.
John

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigjeepman,,,,,,,,, I've had others ask me about selling my knives too, but truthfully, I'm far from a custom knife maker. Just a guy that likes to tinker. Unlike real customs, any one can buy these components and put them them together to their own tastes.
Like I said, "I do like to tinker" though, so I make a few each year for gifts and trading fodder.

jpickar,,,,,,,, the box is 23" in length simply because that's the dimension I needed to get a nice snug fit for my coffee pot and to accommodate the cutting board. Other than that,, the height and width are just dimensional pine. It worked out to a width of (1X12+thickness of sides)= 12.25", and the height (1X4+1X8) = 11".
No copy right or patent infringements to worry about so have at it buddy. ;)

One other quick thing,,,,,,,,,, I've built a couple of other camp boxes over the years and regardless of what type of handles I used, they seemed to interfere with packing so I went with the cut outs on this one. The holes might not work out for everyone's needs, but for me they're perfect. Plus,,, they're free (my favorite price ;D).

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Charlie

Edit; while I'm at it, heres another self gratouitous pic of a skinner I made for a friend down in Nevada a couple of years ago. (shameless, ain't I?)

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Real nice box there. Like the knifes too. MMMMM. Red beans and rice with anduoille sausage! Got a receipe?? That's the way my wife and I camp, items cooked prior to campout.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AINT NO FISH said:
MMMMM. Red beans and rice with anduoille sausage! Got a receipe?? That's the way my wife and I camp, items cooked prior to campout.
Yea,,, it's the only way to camp.
I also make a mean Chili with chunked up pork and beef (IMO it's not Chili if ya use ground meat, it's nothing more than hamburger helper). Serve it over rice too, along with some grated cheese. Rice is easy, filling, and I happen to love the stuff, so I eat allot of it in camp.
This and the Red Beans are my favorite's at camp so I never go without at least one of them, and more times than not I'll have both of em along.

Here's a recipe that's pretty close to mine, except that I'd omitt the cayanne and double up on the Cajun seasoning. I don't use Bay Leaves either, but not because I don't like them. I just never seem to have them around.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/authentic-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice/detail.aspx

A good breakfast, some fruit and cheese (and maybe a can of Smoked Oysters or Sardines) for lunch, some beans and rice for dinner and I'm happy as a Gopher in loose dirt.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Very nice box!

The one and only box I made was in junior high school shop. It was so out of square, when I went to cut the lid off, the kerf just kind of spiraled around the side of the box. :mad:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Edit; while I'm at it said:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/CharlieB401/My%20Knives/noname070.jpg[/IMG]
I don't know if you're shameless, but either way, that knife is gorgeous. The box and the other knifes aren't bad looking either.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Great work! It makes me look at my big Rubbermaid storage containers that I keep my camping stuff in look bad ::)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts