Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just got the camp 9 I put 1 10 round mag throw her just fine and when I put the next mag in the firing pin started hitting light on the casing and the bullets would not go off I'm thinking the firing pin spring is bad the rifle was sitting for the past 15yrs. I did clean and lube before I went out.
What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Tacticaldoogle9,

Welcome. My first inkling on a resurrected Camp 9 would be the classic shattered buffer and perhaps a damaged hammer strut bridge. Just do a search on this forum and you will get lots of info regarding those two topics. Most folks install a new buffer and stiffer 16.5# spring combo from "Blackjack" buffers.

Ed

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Strange problem. You might take the bolt out and soak in gasoline for 24 hours, then blow out with compressed air. Lube with CLP or another good lube, then go test fire again. I had a sticky firing pin on my 1895 GBL and this worked. Oh yeah, I shot a bunch of break cleaner through there too....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Watch using any harsh solvents (brake cleaner) near the plastic trigger guard. It could melt the plastic. I don't recall any one having problems with a weak fireing pin spring. I would also soak the bolt and blow out with compressed air. You can always buy canned air at places that sell office paper and computer supplies.

Other than gasoline, one solvent that works well with hard grease is kerosene/diesel fuel/jet fuel(Jet A). Home heating oil (off road diesel) works but has a red die added. Let it soak for a day and then let stand on end to drain out the solvent.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As others have suggested clean the firing pin tunnel in the bolt. Also if your rife has a very light trigger a previous owner may have cut a few coils off the hammer spring (to lighten the TP) - this will definitely cause misfires. Of course the rifle is more than 10 to 15 years old so the hammer spring might simply have sacked out (compressed and is now too short) and become weaker over the years. If cleaning the firing pin tunnel doesn't work get a new hammer spring.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
For sure no solvents on ANY of the Camp's plastic parts...I failed to follow that tidbit, and as a result, I learned how to do a teardown and rebuild of the trigger group! WAAAAYYYYYYY more than I bargained for..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I'll soak it hopefully I'll have some good news to report soon. I do wanna change the buffer and spring to#16 that seems to be the first thing everybody does with this rifle.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If I may, one other big tip for a new Camp Carbine owner. When you are attaching the Trigger Guard assembly (part #61) to the reciever - you NEVER hammer the two Action Assembly Pins (part 1 and 2) into place (the pins that hold the Trigger Guard to the reciever). Install the rear pin first, make sure the Bolt Stop (Part #4) is in place, then depress the Feed Ramp (part # 17) about 3/8 inch in just enough to clear the mouth of the barrel. The fed ramp should sit on the end of the barrel - not under the barrel when assembled correctly. If the pins should easily push into place.

Trigger Parts from marlin manual.jpg Reciever parts from marlin manual.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I took her apart and the first thing I found was a blown out buffer it was blown into sand ill replace that. the springs all looked good and I'm praying I dident do any damage. this rifle was one of my grandfathers favs so I picked it to go with my cz85 and plan on using it a lot. Thanks for the help and pics

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good!! Now you may consider a 16.5 pound recoil spring to save your new recoil buffer and wooden stock. I consider a new recoil buffer and the 16.5 pound recoil spring both a must for any Camp Carbine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good!! Now you may consider a 16.5 pound recoil spring to save your new recoil buffer and wooden stock. I consider a new recoil buffer and the 16.5 pound recoil spring both a must for any Camp Carbine.
+1 on that.

While I am "new" to this forum I have 50+ years shooting. One thing I ALWAYS do when I get a "new" used firearm is to first learn as much as possible about it before it goes to the range. Then I take it down and clean and inspect every part. I got my Marlin Camp rifle a couple of years back at a gun show. While it showed very little wear from shooting...very little....the buffer had just turned to yellow sand. I cleaned it up, resisted the urge to fire it "just one time" and waited for my new BJ buffer and heavier recoil spring to arrive. While I was waiting I had time to research and learn what I needed about this rifle. Time well spent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts