Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Yepper, they have been carrying the .410 for some time although they show the wrong picture online. I'm thinking of trying to pick one up soon. My goal will be to cut the barrel to 18.5", change out the stock to a straight one and change the lever to match. It'll be my .410 Guide Gun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had my hands on both of them Saturday at Cabela's. Fine, fine rifle's...

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Yepper, they have been carrying the .410 for some time although they show the wrong picture online. I'm thinking of trying to pick one up soon. My goal will be to cut the barrel to 18.5", change out the stock to a straight one and change the lever to match. It'll be my .410 Guide Gun.
Do they make ported shotguns? :eek: :D

bjm

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was going to buy one of the 45 Colts last Feb. They brought 3 out and they all had issues that kept me form putting my money down. They had 5 more they were going to bring out one at a time but I told them to just forget it and I walked out with my money in my pocket. I really wanted a 45 Colt lever gun too.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Bullseye
I looked at 5 of these rifle's and picked the best 1. It has no issue's but the wood is pretty underwhelming. If you really want a .45 colt that isn't of a cowboy configuration you may want to look over the rest of them. Mine is a good shooter.
Karl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost forgot that the rifles were Remlins. It's nice to hear that at least 20% of the 45's are descent. I can't decide if I'll wait to find a vintage or not. We'll see how long I hold out. ;D

-Wild West Hero

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
421 Posts
Little confused here....is the .410 shot gun, built on a 1895 frame or is it on the 1894 model with the 45 colt?

I can see if it they were made on the smaller 1894's....they would be pretty handy and quick. But to build one exclusively on the 1895 platform, not so sure. Might as well just make 45-70 shot shells, using 410 wads.

and....what would be the praticality of having a .410 guide gun?...Not opposed to it, just not sure it its worth the cost, when I can go down to the local Coast to Coast store or farm/ranch store and pick up a light easy to carry single shot, new england .410, for about $179 versus...what.....$359+.

So other than the novelty, what be the biggest critter you could reasonable hunt for, snakes, rabbits, quail.....ducks?

Just curious is all. Though I have not done so, I have considerd making a batch of snake shot for my GG.....but in reality, I am better just carring a pistol with snake shot instead. Has far as hunting birds......would a .410 GG be usable for this?

Lonerider

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know I think that the 410 lever action is kind of cool, saw a great 9410 the other day, just doesn't quite spark my interest (as much). Would be a nice slug gun for smaller animals, but there is better. Makes a nice combination gun.

-Wild West Hero

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Lonerider said:
Little confused here....is the .410 shot gun, built on a 1895 frame or is it on the 1894 model with the 45 colt?

I can see if it they were made on the smaller 1894's....they would be pretty handy and quick. But to build one exclusively on the 1895 platform, not so sure. Might as well just make 45-70 shot shells, using 410 wads.

and....what would be the praticality of having a .410 guide gun?...Not opposed to it, just not sure it its worth the cost, when I can go down to the local Coast to Coast store or farm/ranch store and pick up a light easy to carry single shot, new england .410, for about $179 versus...what.....$359+.

So other than the novelty, what be the biggest critter you could reasonable hunt for, snakes, rabbits, quail.....ducks?

Just curious is all. Though I have not done so, I have considerd making a batch of snake shot for my GG.....but in reality, I am better just carring a pistol with snake shot instead. Has far as hunting birds......would a .410 GG be usable for this?

Lonerider
Lonerider; I'm not saying it makes sense or that I need it. That is just what I want! If you haven't noticed I like Guide Guns and the fact that I could have a .410 look just like them sounds like a fun project for me. Yepper, I could buy a single shot, double barrel, pump, semi but that isn't what I want. It would make a great rabbit & squirrel gun. Heck if I shoot slugs even deer. I already carry a judge for the snakes but what a great small game gun!

Best of all it would look just like a bunch of my other levers! ;D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Neat looking guns. Is the 410 smooth bore?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The .410 is built on the 1895 action. It comes with a front fiber optic with a hood that is perforated. The rear is the standard buckhorn. The bore is smooth. I am in contact with Briley to see if they will choke it for me. The barrel is a standard 45-70 thickness, not a thin wall shotgun. I have one of the last pre-Remlins from last fall. I have run slugs, shot, and home-defense load through it. Performs well. A 9" paper plate will get the center shredded with slugs at 50 yards.

NOTE: IT ONLY CHAMBERS 2 1/2" SHELLS NOT MAGNUM!!!

My wife has the 12 gauge pump on her side of the bed. I have my 1911 and the Marlin on my side. I will say that slugs and deer up to 50 yards would be fine. Slug leaves at the same speed, just a lot less lead.

JB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts