Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, any suggestions for tools for deburring new brass flash holes ?...have a new order of starline brass and want to make sure there are no burrs from the factory...never did that with my winny brass, hell, i don't even know if its worth the effort?...but, this time around i am weighing everthing using a .000 grain scale---even the brass to see what type of groups/sd's i can get...thanks larry :)

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Russ Haydon sells a nice flash hole deburring tool. I use it on loads for my match rifles and my varmint rifle. Don't know that it helps a lot, but it gets rid of one more variable. Only has to be done once, some cases need a lot more help than others.

http://www.shooters-supply.com

Russ' shop is in Gig Harbor, Washington and he's very fast with shipping.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
729 Posts
In a pinch you can use an acetylene tip cleaner to deburr a flash hole.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you'll find that with Starline brass there's no need to de-bur the flash holes. They appear to be already de-burred from the factory, or at least very well done in the punching process. Out of literally thousands of pieces of Starline brass(yes, I've checked every single one) not a single one had a bur of any kind in the flash hole, and the holes have always been very uniform to boot. The weight is also very uniform.

Winchester has got to be the worst I've run across as far as burs, off center holes, and basically anything else that can be wrong with new brass. It makes me sad too, because not too many years ago, they put out some very good stuff. Lately though, they leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Depends on what you are shooting. I would not bother except for a rifle that was already under .75 MOA or for an extraordinarily ratty lot of brass.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
.083 wire drill to uniform the size of the holes then a #4 center drill or the above tool to deburr.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm with Mr. Lester when using Starline brass. My experience is with 200 pieces of Starline's 45/70 purchased from Midway. The flash holes were smooth and uniform. The weights varied from 192.5 grains to 194.8 grains. The lengths varied from 2.094" to 2.099".

I have used Lymans tool with good results on Remington brass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts