·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Now that looks nice!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello gentlemen

I've been considering putting a laminate stock on mine too, but for different reasons: where I hunt I have to shoot relatively quick, off hand, without time to set up. The Xs7 is too light for my tastes for getting the sights to settle the way I like them to. I'm used to hunting open sights with heavy muzzle loaders and this gun is tuff for me to get the crosshairs to settle the way I like at 100 yards off hand. Question #1: what is the weight of the rifle with synthetic stock? #2. Could I gain substantial weight with one of the Boyd's laminate stocks?

When you install a Boyd's laminate, can you just drop the barrel and action right into the stock or must you do some prep work, bedding, smoothing out, etc? I'm not at all a gun smith. Is a replacement stock something easy enough for the average Joe to swap out? Thank you much for any solutions and answers you might have for me. I look forward to contributing something useful back to the Marlin community. Jeff

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I hear that some people need to bed the action to get them to shoot, but all I had to do with my Remmy 700 ADL is screw it down, and it shot so much better than the Plastic stock that came with it. You cant go wrong for 92.00...... DSCF4167.JPG DSCF4166.JPG

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I had to do a Walnut Prairie hunter for the 25-05 XL7. Drop in fit, tightened the groups even more. DO IT (don't forget a metal trigger guard)

Reactions: waynewjw and Gordy

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have one of these in the pepper colored laminate but had to modify it extensively due to the bull barrel on my 22-250. Love the stock and I would advise definitely bedding them for your rifle.

·
Administrator
27,863 Posts
Hello gentlemen

I've been considering putting a laminate stock on mine too, but for different reasons: where I hunt I have to shoot relatively quick, off hand, without time to set up. The Xs7 is too light for my tastes for getting the sights to settle the way I like them to. I'm used to hunting open sights with heavy muzzle loaders and this gun is tuff for me to get the crosshairs to settle the way I like at 100 yards off hand. Question #1: what is the weight of the rifle with synthetic stock? #2. Could I gain substantial weight with one of the Boyd's laminate stocks?

When you install a Boyd's laminate, can you just drop the barrel and action right into the stock or must you do some prep work, bedding, smoothing out, etc? I'm not at all a gun smith. Is a replacement stock something easy enough for the average Joe to swap out? Thank you much for any solutions and answers you might have for me. I look forward to contributing something useful back to the Marlin community. Jeff
Welcome to Marlin Owners. You sound like me, I greatly prefer my rifles to have some heft as they are easier to settle the cross-hairs off hand. I do like shooting sticks but not always do you have the time for them.

Your XS7 is 6.5lbs with a synthetic stock with empty magazine. Then add the weight of your scope plus ammunition to that.

Laminate stocks are quite a bit heavier than synthetic and still heavier than solid walnut. The reason is the glue used in the process of laminating the stock. So, yes, over your synthetic stock you will gain weight but I cannot recall exactly how much over the synthetic.

Check the stats on this Boyd's laminate: Boyds: PRAIRIE HUNTER MARLIN® XS7 SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) Prairie Hunter

It states the laminate stock to be approximately 2.8 pounds. Consider that synthetic stocks are feather light and you can imagine your rifle will gain significant weight. If I had to guess at the gain I'd say 1.25 to 1.40lbs. You'd be approaching an 8lb rifle and then add your scope weight. Now you have the heft your after.

I think the rest of your questions were already answered. Hope this helps.

Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts