Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll here is my new Marlin 795 with its new clothes. A Simmons 22mag 4x scope and the "NEW" Boyd's SS Evolution stock for the 795. It was a perfect drop in fit. Took all of 3 minutes to install. Fully free floated barrel, fit and finish are exceptional. Would I recommend this to a friend, Hell Yes!!!!. I know I know where are the pics? Here they are.

007-12.jpg 005-17.jpg 003-16.jpg
this is the Applejack color. It is not heavy but feels substantial. OK 795 owners we have a choice now and at least this style is a great one. it is not the 60/795 version it is the 795 version with no fitting to do. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Nice!

Reactions: oneyeopn

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Good looking setup!

Jon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have this and a Model 60 with an ATI stock on it, the 60 is an 81 model with the real long barrel, I use them both for plinking and small game. I am still breaking in the 795, I just got it a couple of weeks ago, but I think it is as accurate as my old 60 and they are both more accurate than any 10-22 I have ever shot, although I guess you can dump $500 or $600 into a 10-22 to get it to shoot like a Marlin. LOL. I took it out yesterday and sighted it in at 50 yards. I was using one of the large champion targets that come off of a pad like a giant post it note. after I blew the bullseyes out of all the targets ( the big center and the 4 corners) I then started shooting the numbers that run up the left side and across the top. I was sitting in my pickup seat using a millet window rest and all I can say is Wow. the Scope and Stock were both put on yesterday brand new. it is a Simmons 22mag 4x fixed. It took two shots to sight it in and after that it was exactly where I pointed it. The heavier barrel profile on the 795 really seems to make a difference on the shorter barrel. Thanks for the compliments, the ATI stock may have to go bye-bye. I am becoming a believer in free floating barrels. My Mauser 308 is free floated as well as both of my AR's. All I can say is it makes a heck of a difference in shot placement especially after your barrel starts to heat up a little. Free floating seems to make them stay true or at least helps.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Nice rifle, I have been looking at the 795, but was concerned about the magazine falling out. I have noticed that the 10/22s have that problem. Love that Boyd stock. I have been looking to do something similar with my Savage 110 long action 300 Win Mag. Only issue I have is its the first rifle I ever owned that shot perfect with a factory stock. I did glass bed it a year or so after I purcased it. Its like it went from a fine shootng rifle to guided lazer bullet on a factoy stock. Its one of those delimas " If it aint broke, don't fix it.":shot:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oneyeopn, that is beautiful. I love everything about it. I've been hesitant on purchasing the 795, but now I have a new project....!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice rifle, I have been looking at the 795, but was concerned about the magazine falling out. I have noticed that the 10/22s have that problem. Love that Boyd stock. I have been looking to do something similar with my Savage 110 long action 300 Win Mag. Only issue I have is its the first rifle I ever owned that shot perfect with a factory stock. I did glass bed it a year or so after I purcased it. Its like it went from a fine shootng rifle to guided lazer bullet on a factoy stock. Its one of those delimas " If it aint broke, don't fix it.":shot:
I have had no problems with the magazines falling out. Unlike the 10-22 the 795 magazine is traditional style and I really dont see how it can. On my rifle the magazine latches very securely and unlatches and comes out without even feeling like the magazine may fall out. I bought a 25 round mag for it but have been unable to make it function correctly yet! I have 3 of the 10 round Marlin mags and every one does everything it is supposed to and does it well.
the stock is ambidextrous and works for my left handed wife as well as for me. One of the things they dont say that I discovered is that fact that it seems to help promote a proper hold position on the rifle. She always looks strange holding a rifle and I work with her but she just doesnt pull it up into a natural point of aim. She does with this stock and I am sure it will transfer for her to other rifles that she shoots.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice looking rig. Is that your hunter or target or all around?
this will be a prairie dog hunter and used for flock protection we raise chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys for our local farmers market and one shot with a 22 doesnt seem to offend anyone when I have a predator stalking my flock. But generally for hunting prairie dogs and predators I use the following gun but a 22 is probably the handiest rifle to have around:

Attachments

Reactions: ArrowDodger

·
Registered
137 Posts
WOW , That sure is pretty

·
Registered
319 Posts
oneyeopn,
I like it too. The more I'm around (and see) Marlin bolt-action .22s....the more I like what I see. Talk about a bargain for an accurate shooter. I can't wait to get my Model 25M all dialed up.

I intend to use it as my "farm gun"...

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better Pics of my 795 with the 25rd Mag that works perfectly since I polished the feed ramp and cut down the angle.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
oneye, great looking rifle and thank you for the post. I have been going back and forth deciding between the rimfire hunter and the evolution. the post about the evolution helping your wife obtain a better hold position is a great comment. I want to teach my wife to shoot and put together the right package to teach her with.... one more pro for the evolution stock on the 795.... now just to get the money together for the mods I am dreaming of...

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oneye, great looking rifle and thank you for the post. I have been going back and forth deciding between the rimfire hunter and the evolution. the post about the evolution helping your wife obtain a better hold position is a great comment. I want to teach my wife to shoot and put together the right package to teach her with.... one more pro for the evolution stock on the 795.... now just to get the money together for the mods I am dreaming of...

Thanks
yesterday my wife decided that this is her rifle. everytime I get one she gets one but it didnt happen with this one, soooo I guess I am going to start looking for another 22 although I have my Model 60 that I have had since my wife was 12 yrs old. My nephew who is SpecOps has it on the east coast as a go to the range and play with rifle and I wont ask for it to come home. sooo I gotta find me another cause she really loves it.

Reactions: papa vid

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing to point out...If you chamfer and polish the feed ramp, and sand the molding marks off of the hi cap mag, the rifle will run the 25's everybit as good as the factory 10's and run the factory 10's better than ever!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing picked up a new marlin 795 and just ordered the SS Evolution from boyds in Camo. Have a pair of the promag 25 round mags enroute as well. Look forward to putting this together and taking it to the range for target practice! Thanks Gene

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just picked up another Champion 25rnd Mag and right out of the package it works. I have 2 of the Champions and 3 factory 10 rounds. I put a 3-9x40 tasco scope on it and she is one great little critter gitter. I am so happy with the 795 although I want to get the trigger upgrade and the TIG trigger guard assembly. Remlin did some things right and it wouldnt take but a little bit to have done everything right.:biggrin:

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
it is the nutmeg. i thought it would be a little bit lighter in color but i like it. I was prepared to have to file out the groove for the tube, and was very surprised it was already cut and finished. i looked all over the place to see if they had started doing the cut, even on the boyds site it says minor fitting required. So for everyone who is wondering about the SS Evolution boyds is now making them 100% drop in. the trigger guard is cut slightly too wide but i can deal with it. i have a 2lb trigger pull in this rifle and in the original stock there was always some grittiness when i pulled the trigger. After i put it in the boyds it is smooth as silk. im not sure why it doesn't have that gritty feel anymore but it is a lot nicer.

I was able to get a 2lb trigger pull after new springs, 1000# sand paper with rem-oil smoothing every piece that touched another piece. sanded down the sear catch on the hammer so it is very smooth and just drops off. I was worried it would make fire if bumped, but i have tested it (everything short of throwing it across the room) and it is safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts