Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pappy came up to day. Our plan was to get him a new boat seat and a new trolling motor. While I was outside waiting on his arrival I started tinkering with my trolling motor. I cut the positive terminal wire off and restriped it. The wire was smokey looking and corroded. I did the same to the negative the negative side. Reattached them. The motor seemed to want to go. I pulled the prop and noticed I needed to replace the sear pin. I had fashioned one out of a nail as a quick fix once before. Any way I kept fiddling with it a got it running as good as new. I saved $175.00 wow. Dad finally arrived and we went out looking for a stronger boat chair. We found a double molded boat seat with cushions for $100. This would have been great, but the seat was so small it would have been uncomfortable for Pappy's size. He was sitting on a pedestal garden patio chair while I was going thru the used seat inventory at the marina. Pappy said why wouldn't something like this work. We left without a seat and went to Big Lots to look at Patio furniture. Then I said I had an idea, we went to Office Max. We looked at computer chairs. That's what we decided on. We can use it in the house like I'm doing right now, and in the boat. The chair fits perfectly ahead of the middle seat which will allow Pappy to easily turn left and right and spin his legs so he is facing thoughs directions instead of twisting at the waist. The casters fit inside the grooves. If it appears to be a problem we can add a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in the bottom of the boat and remove the casters and bolt it down. I am sure it might require special attention for transporting but at $60.00 bucks its a quick, cheap and comfortable fix. The only problem I see is him falling asleep to easy.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Way to go keeping Pappy comfortable while fishing. :) My only concern with the office chair is if it gets wet it might take a while to dry out.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 15 ft Jon boat with a 8 HP Yamaha, not real fast boat, but a great creek boat. Doubt I will loose Pop.

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Good ole American ingenuity!:tee:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I use a seat from an old CJ on the big boat, it's almost too comfy. Bolted it to a swivel base and bolted that to a piece of plate welded to a 2" pipe. Works right well for those afternoon siestas.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back in the early 90's my Father ran a paper route after he retired. His route was in Dare County. They have street pickup of unwanted items like furniture and yard debri. Pappy was all ways bring home stuff. I practically re- furnished my home like that. One day he came up and said come see what I got. He had an old barber's chair. I don't know how he got it in the back of the truck because it was real heavy. He said he was going to use it while we were dog hunting with the club. Every time we would hunt I would look over and see Pappy reared back reclined, with his rifle across his waist snoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts