Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We at Ranger Point Precision are excited to announce the availability of our new $139 Marlin Big Loop Lever (Available for pistol grip models 308MX, 336, 338MX, 444, 1895). Our big loop lever was designed to put functionality first, with a strong secondary emphasis on style.

What makes our Marlin big loop lever different?
1) Current "big loop" lever offerings incorporate a loop that is very tall and circular, but the aggressive upper curve still makes gloved fingers bunch together. We made more space fore and aft by flattening and extending the upper curve, allowing the fingers to rest naturally along the pistol grip.

2) The overly tall design of current levers has two effects that we don't care for: a) it creates an odd lag time when opening the action, while the hand leaves the grip and the fingers travel downward before smacking abruptly into the lower rung of the loop (with bare hands this can get uncomfortable quickly); and b) the loop adds significantly to the height dimension of the rifle and becomes the lowest point. Finish scratches are inevitable, and handiness is sacrificed for style.

3) Our design introduces additional space into the trigger guard area, where it is vital. Gloved fingers are a pretty tight fit in factory trigger guards. That should make anyone nervous when the hammer is back. We also decreased the dimension separating loop and guard, allowing the fingers to sit naturally, close together. In the overlay photo below you can clearly see the generous new space we've introduced in key areas.

4) Aesthetically, we designed our lever to blend more naturally with the lines of the stock, complementing rather than contrasting the attractive curve of the pistol grip. Our design may not pop out as much other big loops, but we feel that it presents pleasing, natural lines that look right.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

RPP Big Loop Lever On Gun.jpg levers_3 copy.jpg

Attachments

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: marlin54

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ***, just was my first thought when looking at the comparison pics. Looks good to me, and actually looks to be proportioned to the rifle well.
Good luck.

EDIT: Language, use (*) only to the number of letters or family friendly words. Profanity will not be tolerated.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not trying to be a smart a$$, just was my first thought when looking at the comparison pics. Looks good to me, and actually looks to be proportioned to the rifle well.
Good luck.
I didn't take your comment as snarky at all. :) I agree that it would be more appropriate to call it "medium." In fact, we think the "big loops" are too big and lacking some important functionality. I'll definitely give some thought into re-naming it "medium" and when we talk about it. Explains it quite well. Thanks for the positive feedback!!

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice looking levers! Been looking at your stuff for a while now! I like some of the concepts on your website for Marlins! Welcome to the forums!
Hi Mazer - Nice to meet you! So glad to hear that you like our new lever design. We put months into the design and a lot of thought. Thanks so much for the feedback, interest and welcome. We have the best job in the world - working with our hands, our hearts and our minds to enhance, improve and beautify Marlin firearms (as well as a few others rifles/pistols that we love). We look forward to connecting with this community of Marlin lovers, just like ourselves.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It thrills me to hear a man speak of loving what he does for a living with his hands. This is what the new generations do not understand.
Keep up the good work my friend.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
I like it...has a rather elegant look to it. Now, when may we expect a straight grip version?

UPDATE (28June14) just ordered one (PG) for my 375.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd love to get you folks to elaborate a bit on your method of having the extra rounds attached to the stock...since most of us go out into the field I'm interested on how well the rounds are retained. I sometimes get Marlins that are not in the best of condition, but still want to keep them, or just want to change things up for something totally different! I have a very nice 1895M that I was going to sell, but now I'm thinking maybe just "change it up" :). Just need to decide where I want to go with it! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to dealing with you!
mazer

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd love to get you folks to elaborate a bit on your method of having the extra rounds attached to the stock...since most of us go out into the field I'm interested on how well the rounds are retained. I sometimes get Marlins that are not in the best of condition, but still want to keep them, or just want to change things up for something totally different! I have a very nice 1895M that I was going to sell, but now I'm thinking maybe just "change it up" :). Just need to decide where I want to go with it! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to dealing with you!
mazer

I was wondering the same thing when i browsed the site. How do the rounds hold and retract from the stock ???????

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Nice looking lever. The "Big" loop has always looked a little out of place for my taste. This one seems like it would do what a larger lever is supposed to do and it looks nice. Good work!

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like it...has a rather elegant look to it. Now, when may we expect a straight grip version?
Well sir, I saw this question coming, but I was hoping for a longer grace period. The short answer is, I don't know. Manufacturing is an expensive proposition. Even at $139/ea we make zero profit on this part unless we do them in batches of at least 100. Add to that development costs for a new design and you're talking about a substantial investment, at least for a small company like ours. So we chose to start with the pistol grip model since it is the most common. We've sold a few already since announcing, but over the next weeks we will be measuring demand. Hopefully people want them. I really think we nailed it with this lever (thanks for your positive feedback, btw) and it would be a shame if they didn't end up with good homes. If our inventory begins moving steadily, then rest assured a straight grip model will not be long behind. Thank you for your comments, and thank you for your service.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering the same thing when i browsed the site. How do the rounds hold and retract from the stock ???????
We get this question pretty frequently, and it's a valid one. Truth is, we've been a little reluctant to disclose all the facts, because, while we did invent it, we don't yet hold a patent. But hey, if you're willing to put in as much sweat equity as we do, then here's how it works: It's actually a pretty simple, and therefore reliable, system. Under the shell plate we use O-rings of appropriate diameter to hold the case neck. Not only do they accomplish this, they also help isolate the rounds from jolts and vibration that might dislodge them. The net result is that while the cartridges are fairly easy to insert and extract, they simply don't fall out. I built the first prototype over three years ago (the OD/black rifle featured on our website) and I've been running around the woods with it ever since. Never has a round fallen out, whether during shooting or just navigating through trees and brush. Because the cases sit above the grip cap and stock toe they are well protected from bumps and snags. It's a system that works remarkably well. Short of strapping a rifle, lever down, on a 4 wheeler rack, I can't imagine any ordinary use scenarios that might have one coming up short of ammo. Hopefully that answers your question. Thanks for your interest guys!

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice looking lever. The "Big" loop has always looked a little out of place for my taste. This one seems like it would do what a larger lever is supposed to do and it looks nice. Good work!
Thanks so much for the kind words! And thank you sir, for your service to our country. We do feel like we succeeded with this design. I am raring to outfit all of my personal Marlins, but that could deplete our inventory a bit much:)

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice lookin Lever guys. I always thought a "medium" loop would be more practical than the current offerings out there. Good Luck with your endeavor.
Thanks for the encouragement, Sergeant, and thanks for your service. It's a pleasure to be in the company of veterans today. Btw, I can match you blood for blood on the Scotch-Irish, and probably the hillbilly too (grew up in the Ozarks). Cheers.

Reactions: T-Roy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mazer
Mazer,
When you mentioned the 1895M it made me think of a rifle we did for a customer a couple of months back. We started with his choice, a brand new (Rem made) 1895SBL. We slimmed the forearm, added a light rail, bedded and hand fitted the stocks, then gave 'em the black treatment. A little trigger and action work, then we ported the barrel and called it good. It was a good shooter and a fine looker. 1895sbl.jpg Thought I'd throw out an idea.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Thanks for that! This is where I'm going with it I think plus your stock and minus the scope...I'd like a pistol grip and your "medium loop lever" :biggrin: Plus I'm thinking a nice peep sight!

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a plan!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

1 - 20 of 77 Posts