Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess like a lot of other riflemen, I've been intrigued by the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor.
It gets a lot of ink and video these days, and on paper it just doesn't seem all that different or better or improved over the .308, 7mm-'08, etc. class of cartridges.
A few weeks ago, looking for some more info, I gave Steve West a call.
Steve is an adventure hunt broker/booking agent, who I have booked a few hunts with over the years.
He is also a Bergara dealer and a Six dot Five fan, and he offers a package deal that includes a rifle and matched, tested ammunition developed and loaded by his buddy's Pendleton Ammunition company.
After listening to the sales pitch I succumbed to the urge and ordered a new Bergara Premier Approach rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, and some ammo loaded with the new Hornady ELDX bullet.

This weekend was my first chance to get out to the range and give her a test drive, and all I can say is:
WOW !
Believe the Hype !
Not one group went over 1/2" @ 100 yards.
There were several one hole'rs in the 1/4"-ish range.
And one group, my last one of the day, went into a single hole, only slightly larger than caliber, that measured an incredible .125" center to center !
Unfortunately I had one round leftover and I got frisky and shot that one on the same target, opening the group to .4" and spoiling my hero pic. Lol.
In any case, an incredible "first date" with a rifle and cartridge combo that now most definitely has my attention !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Just came back from the range sighting in my new Mossberg Patriot Revere, six dot five Creedmoor, and I share your enthusiasm, not as high dollar as the Bergara, but, the 6.5 is impressive, the bad part is, in the back of my mind, I'm wishing they offered it in a 6.5 PRC!!! ( SIGH), never satisfied, although, I'll have total when I climb in to a treestand next Sat. morning!!! Did you see the show where Steve "dumped" the bull elk with the 6.5 ELDX round, impressive, bull just fell over!!! T Rex

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and share your enthusiasm. I couldn't shoot the rifle for long at the range as it was 95 degrees with 70% humidity. The rifle grouped very well with the standard 129 gr Hornady Interlock Whitetail ammo. Took three shots to get my POI into the bull at 60 yards--then proceeded to put the other six rounds on top of each other. Had to quit after that as the barrel was very hot but I was very satisfied with a brand spanking new rifle. I bought some dies and bullets late last week--now its time to reload.

Reactions: airwinky

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Ret Eng, love those Interlocks, have been killing deer with 139 gr. in 7MM-08 for last 4 or 5 yrs. now, read a lot of reviews around 140 gr. boolits, in 6.5, so bought Rem., and Federal for my 6.5 in 140 grs. I hand load 7MM-08, but Mossberg didn't offer the Revere in 08, so I went with the 6.5, and am impressed, if it will kill deer as good as it shoots paper, we're good to go!!!! T Rex

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Ret Eng, love those Interlocks, have been killing deer with 139 gr. in 7MM-08 for last 4 or 5 yrs. now, read a lot of reviews around 140 gr. boolits, in 6.5, so bought Rem., and Federal for my 6.5 in 140 grs. I hand load 7MM-08, but Mossberg didn't offer the Revere in 08, so I went with the 6.5, and am impressed, if it will kill deer as good as it shoots paper, we're good to go!!!! T Rex
I reload the 139 gr Hornady Interlocks for my Savage 7mm-08 too. They are a deer womper!

Reactions: airwinky

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T Rex,
I'm seeing this caliber as more of a long range upgrade of the .308 than a replacement of the .300 Win Mag.
I think it will make a dynamite mule deer and antelope and sheep and goat cartridge, and turn coyotes and the like inside out.
I know Steve a little as I have hunted with him a couple times and he's an excellent shot at long distance.
Maybe I'm wrong, but for me at least, I think it is pushing the round's capabilities a bit to think of it as an elk cartridge.
At any range I personally would shoot at an elk, the good ol' '06 is hard to beat.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the review. I've heard a lot of good things about the Bergara rifle. Looks like a great hunting rig.
Thanks maki00... The only drawback I see is it's a little big and heavy for certain kinds of hunts.
I have another Bergara, the Stalker, built on the same action but with a shorter lighter barrel and light carbon fiber stock that made me a Bergara believer, and is quickly becoming my favorite rifle.
Incredible accuracy with the right loads, and a silky action and trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.