Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Barnes 180gr TSX FN for 35 Remington

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  northmn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, new 336 owner and just got some of these newly released 180gr TSX flat nose hollowpoints. Wanted to share with you all in case anyone is interested. I put it next to a 200gr FTX for comparison. No load data from Barnes site and haven't got a response back from customer service yet. Loaded up a dummy in a case just to see what it looks like.

Specs from catalog are:
Type: TSX FN
DIA: .358
WGT: 180gr
S.D.: .201
B.C.: .193
CAT. #: 31112

Wood Ammunition Bullet Font Office equipment

FTX (R) TSX (L)

Brown Wood Ammunition Writing implement Bullet

FTX (R) TSX (L)

Calipers Wood Gauge Rectangle Measuring instrument

TSX at 1.0205" length

Calipers Wood Gas Measuring instrument Auto part

FTX at 1.0885" length

Wood Amber Office supplies Wood stain Publication

A look at seating pre-crimp with OAL of 2.5195"

Pen Writing implement Ammunition Wood Bullet

Another angle pre-crimp

Wood Musical instrument Publication Cylinder Writing implement

Post-crimp

Fluid Bottle Wood Natural material Drink

Closer up of post-crimp

See less See more
#4 ·
Interesting, are they designed for the 35 Rem? or the other 35 caliber cartridges that exist and typically have a lot more velocity than the 35 Rem. Most of the 35 caliber bullets are not exclusively designed for the 35 Rem. but for the larger cartridges.

#5 ·
@Rollingblock I have not had a chance to feed it yet. Was playing with it late last night. I will try it and see later today. @Dads35 - Yes, specifically for the 35 Remington. A little more info in the catalog here, but that is about all I could find. Catalog says "The most popular hunting bullet we make, TSX, now in 35-caliber flat nose. Optimized for 35 Remington. Page 20".

#6 ·
that is a good looking bullet. but over the years i have loaded Barnes bullets with less than decent accuracy,,,,,,,,,,,

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing the information and pics!

#9 ·
Anything is better than the FTX. Wish they still made the Corelokt. I will try them rascals. I’ve had good luck with TSX, XPB in 44 and the Barnes MZ 50 Cal sabot in 250 grain. Holes touching out of my 2000 Remington 700ML at 100 yards.

#10 ·
I have killed several deer with my 35 and the FTX. They work very well for me. I have shot the 30-30 version of that bullet as loaded by Federal and it is not a bad bullet. Draw back is that they do not retain velocity well down range. And will probably not exceed 200 grain velocities. The 30-30 data loads best with Lever powder. I suspect that one will also. The 30-30 150 bullet is also very accurate. I only got one deer with the 150 grain 30-30 bullet and neck shot it. 22 mag would have worked just as well with the hit so I cannot say anything about its performance. They load Barnes bullets such that they do not touch the lands. I believe at least .05 back.

DEP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.