Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the southernmost tip of Texas... it was 54 degrees last week and we were freezing to death.

Just got bit by the Lever Action Bug.
And now by the Marlin "JM" mystique.
I think I'll eventually get me a Marlin each, in the most common calibers: 22/357/30-30/45LC/44 Mag/45-70
I like the hunt too... not long ago I had the chance to get a 98% 30-30 waffle top and I let it go... didn't know what I had in my hands... oh well.

Today I have a chance to get a Marlin 39TDS for $500 out the door (tax included). Pawn shop.
It is, conservatively, 85% condition. No baggie or small pouch.
It is scoped and it has all the original sights.

Is it worth the $500 these days?
Also, the Serial is TDS0025x. If I read correctly it would make this one, one of the first 260 riffles produced in 1988. Would this have any kind of premium in value?

I ask, because it is a very short barrel, I was thinking I wanted a 20" barrel on my .22 version, but this one came up... so I'm asking if it is worth it to jump on this one and saddle my self with this $500 rifle.

Thank you!!!

(no pics yet, sorry, it ain't mine yet)

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Pictures when you get it home.
500 otd is a good deal.
Figure sales tax and any other fees knock the rifle into low to mid 400 range.
Buy it do not look back.
Post pictures when you get it later today.

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina. I thought it was always hotter than hell in Texas but can't imagine freezing to death at a balmy 54 degrees lol. Photos when you get it home please.

·
Super Moderator
15,739 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... Seems a bit on the high side with no bag... Does it have the plastic action retainer for when the rifle is in take down mode? If not then that it is too high...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you sure it is only in 85% condition? Reason I ask is because that is in not very good condition at all in the firearms collectors world. (Unless you are talking about a 100 year old gun.) Plus, it does not have its original foam case with it, which is something that collectors really really want.

In its current condition, it would not be of interest to anyone who is a true collector. In other words, no collector value.

However, if it has a really good bore, no pitting or rust spots or scales on the metal, has no cracks in the stock, and the only thing wrong is that 15% of the bluing has worn off in even honest wear, in all of the ordinary places, then it might be a nice shooter for you to have. Nothing wrong with that at all.

So, the real question is, are you going to shoot it a lot, and get a lot of enjoyment out of using it? Or, is it just going to sit in the gun safe. If you are going to shoot it a lot, then consider getting it. If not, then you may want to consider holding off, and looking at more Marlins at gunshows etc. to see how you might better spend your money. (Or, just put that $500 aside in an envelope, and build it up to $800 to $1,000 in 6 months or so, and buy yourself a really nice TDS in collectible condition, or at least much better 96% condition.)

If you want it as a pure shooter, then I would try to pay no more than $400 for it.

My overall advice is: Never be too quick to buy firearms if you've got the fever from being bitten by the bug for a particular model. One tends to jump in a buy poor pieces at high prices, out of the excitement of just finding one. Been there, and done that. :)

A collection of dogs, is, well, just a collection of dogs.

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Texan in H-town...

Reactions: cajun56

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
I'll take 54 any day!

Welcome from down south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Response

Are you sure it is only in 85% condition?
Well, Bluing is 99.5%. The butt stock is 85% and the forend is 95% or better. Yup no baggies of any kind.
If you want it as a pure shooter, then I would try to pay no more than $400 for it.
i don't collect...I shoot everyhing I buy... I would shoot this one a lot, along with my nephews and nieces. :).

A collection of dogs, is, well, just a collection of dogs.
True that...

Hope this helps.
Nice advice, I'll see if I can push the price down further... I started at 750... so we'll see.

Mannyrock
Thanks for the answer, makes sense... since I might be on the high side of this one I'll have to really consider it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thx

Pictures when you get it home.
500 otd is a good deal.
Figure sales tax and any other fees knock the rifle into low to mid 400 range.
Buy it do not look back.
Post pictures when you get it later today.

Thanks, from GunBroker and what I read, I thought it was a good deal, but other members point out that if it is t a collector level it might be too high... so now I'm considering other options... well see. I have a Dec 1st deadline to make a decision... of the deal if off the table...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts