Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lever guy first so, I don't know much about Marlin Semi Auto Rimfires.

I took my 39M out to the range yesterday because I finally was able to track down a carrier rocker so I put it in this weekend and went to try it out. It cycles perfectly now, absolutely LOVE IT!!! but, that is besides the point in this thread.

One of the old timers I see around often was there he asked what I was shooting so I showed him the 39M and we chatted about old Marlins and .22s. I guess my telling him that I'd been fixing up the 39M from a junker to a shooter gave him an idea because he went out to his truck and came back with a Glenfield 70 that has trigger lock on it with no key and is missing the magazine. Based on the thick layer of dust on it; it looked like it had been sitting in a closet for a decade, its was never cleaned before being put in the closet, and has a really cheap and awful set of aluminum sling swivels screwed to the stock.

He handed it to me and I looked it over and said "needs some work but, should be an easy fixer upper". he said, "It's yours then, see what you can do with it".

:eek:

I figure I'll drill the lock out, take it down, clean it good, and chase down a magazine for it.

My problem is I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what model 70 it might be and when it was made. The first 3 digits of the serial number are 193. The serial number decoder page says its a 1981 but, I've always understood that Marlin dropped the use of Glenfield in 1970.

In addition, in looking at auctions sites and web sites this one looks a little different. It has the squirrel stock but, the fore end looks to be cut so the bottom is much wider and isn't cut for the barrel band as it doesn't have one. The Barrel roll mark has a symbol of some sort that I don't see on others thats either two sevens or Two Zs stacked on top of each other or a lighting bolt. the front sight also looks completely different.

Pictures attached, any help narrowing it down, links to a take down guide, and info on which magazine and where to get one would be much appreciated. The guy that gave it to me said it had 10 or 13 round magazine but, couldn't remember exactly or find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
From what I can find it might be the Marlin model 989- just with a different stock that changes the overall appearance dramatically.

Here's a pic-

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/49539.jpg

And I think that the Glenfield name was still going on 22's up til 1995 or so. Numrich has a schematic that looks like the right gun- or close- there a several similar....

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4066

It seems that magazines are all over- I think this fits many of the autoloaders of that era-

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243306494

It looks like a fun project. Good luck.

M

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nice! Should be an easy project, looks like it has some good wood. You might be able to avoid the hassle of drilling out the lock by just taking the rifle down and removing the trigger guard.
Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts