Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the sickness continues unabated and the collection of early 336's continues to grow. This time it's a fairly minty 336A in .35 Rem. Paid about $50 more than I really wanted to pay, but then again I wasn't expecting it to be in the primo condition I found, either. It's a 1952 vintage. Can't wait for the weekend and shootin' time! :D

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Another nice find Pisgah! Any pictures of it yet?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pics yet, but give me a couple of days. I need to bring my work camera home from the office one evening and update my inventory with new pictures, and when I do I'll try to post a few.

I was real pleased to find a .35, my second in just a few months (the other an SC). They're scarce in these parts. Think I may concentrate on finding .32's for a bit -- they're scarcer than hen's teeth around here. Really, though, it's sort of like the old adage of the watched pot never boiling -- the harder you look, the fewer you find! Just have to be in the right place at the right time.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Not much different here. The .30-30 and .35 seem to be the most common, with the .32's being the toughest to find. Of course, any of them in collectable condition are hard to find from the early years.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"The .30-30 and .35 seem to be the most common, with the .32's being the toughest to find. Of course, any of them in collectable condition are hard to find from the early years."

I have wondered if a tour of gun and pawnshops in the Northeast might turn up a few treasures that I'd never find here in South Carolina. You see, back when I was a kid (and these rifles were being built), the only deer hunting we had was down along the coast, strictly a dog-and-shotgun affair. Here in the Upstate, there simply weren't any deer to speak of. That all changed in the late '60's-early '70's when deer were transplanted and the populations soared. So the deer-hunting tradition around here is relatively young when compared to some other sections of the country, and the rifles tend to be of the bolt variety or, if a levergun, the typical .30-30 336 or 94 carbine. A .35 or .32 of any description is a rare find, as is a .30-30 of any but the carbine persuasion.

I'm trying to convince my longtime shooting buddy and partner-in-crime to make a road-trip to PA sometime soon for a prowl, but he's even older and more crotchety than I am...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
One thing in favor of the 32s - it is just not a popular caliber these days, and they can be real sleepers bargain-wise! SW

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NebrHogger said:
One thing in favor of the 32s - it is just not a popular caliber these days, and they can be real sleepers bargain-wise! SW
There's no denying that this is a plus in my book! Being a reloader, the fact that you can't pick up a box of ammo down at Wal Mart doesn't faze me a bit, either.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a 93 carbine in 32 spl that was great to shoot. Not a common caliber around here either. Although the last two 93's to come up for sale around here have been 32's, one was a lightweight and the other an eastern carbine. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moodyholler said:
Although the last two 93's to come up for sale around here have been 32's, one was a lightweight and the other an eastern carbine. moodyholler
Last couple of .32's I've looked at were 93s, as well. Both were around $625-650, as I recall, and perhaps could have been had for a bit less. Not bad prices for their condition, but my focus being on 336's, I passed on both. Maybe a mistake!

·
Registered
579 Posts
There has been a nice 336A in 32spl floating around here for some time. If I see it Saturday I'll let you know. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
moodyholler said:
There has been a nice 336A in 32spl floating around here for some time. If I see it Saturday I'll let you know. moodyholler
Thanks, Moodyholler. Needs to be pretty cheap for me to spring for it right now, but if it's REALLY nice... well, MasterCard still hasn't caught up to me yet :wink:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shum8 said:
Thanks, shum8. I've been watching those two. The .32 is a possibility. This at least the fourth time it's been listed, and I danged near bought it before I found my .35 336a. May stilll have a go at it...

I bought a .30-30 RC a few weeks ago -- not quite as nice, but a fine, fine solid shooter, for $170. I'm interested to see where the bidding goes on this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts