Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this afternoon I was feeling a little down after updating my calendar and realizing that the family and I would not be able to make it Wind's HappenZ 4 this summer.

Our kiddos have a County 4-H Shoot that was just scheduled for that weekend, so we will wait another year to make the "H". I wouldn't miss my kid's shoot for the world, but we were all looking forward to the trip. Bummer.

So, like anyone suffering from Marlinitis, I did just what anyone here would do and decided to go cruise the LGS's.

First shop was a local one that specializes in all things black and tactical. The conversation as I walked in was something about the superiority of the 7.62x39 Russian over the 5.56 NATO. I just smiled, nodded, and perused the rack of rifles, eventually spying a lonely lever action down at the end.

Yup, a 336.

So, I asked to see the Marlin, and was rewarded with a Z serial number 336 R.C. in 35 Remington, built in 1964. Other than being covered in dust, it had great lumber, no dings, no scratches, SMOOTH action, and once I got them to let me clean the honest to goodness cobwebs and dust out of the bore - a pristine Microgroove bore. I asked where it had come from, they said a local widower had brought it in a couple days before to get rid of it. I said that's a shame, but I think it happens more often than we know.

After a little dickering, I made it out the door for $300 and yes I'm still grinning. Karma sure has a funny way of working things out.

z 336 35 2.JPG

Z 336 35 1.JPG

z 336 35 3.JPG

This one will make the trip to HappenZ 5 !

Regards,

B

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Good deal!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
congrats, very nice rifle.

And you're such a good samaritan removing that sweet old wood furnitured rifle from the company of all that cold, black plastic

Still looking for a good 35...although I'd have a hard time leaving the 45-70 in the safe

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And you're such a good samaritan removing that sweet old wood furnitured rifle from the company of all that cold, black plastic
. . . yup, another orphaned Marlin off the street and safely placed in a caring new home . . . just trying to do my part. :)

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you not feel guilty???:shot:
Not really, they had it tagged at $325. Someone was going to get a deal at some point. Once I was happy with the bore, I reached in my wallet and pulled out three One Hundred Dollar bills and put them on the counter and asked if that would buy the rifle. The owner picked up the three C-notes and said, "I'm going to need your driver's license to start the paperwork."

No guilt here. :biggrin:

B

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey B,

Good for you.

Later, Mark

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Administrator
27,828 Posts
Besides a great deal she looks in truly beautiful shape! You lucked out with finding such a gem B. Good for you!

Do I hear a range report coming?

Jack

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey B,

Good for you.

Later, Mark
Thanks Mark!

I'm a big fan of the 35 Remington. My Great-Grandfather hunted with a Model 8 Remington and I've been shooting old 35 Rem Model 8's and 81's since I could hold them up. Bought my first Marlin 35 about 15 years ago. I've been looking for more ever since and finally lucked out on a nice '61 Texan in December and this '64 RC today. Fun stuff and I have LOTS of brass and components ready to go.

B

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well I think you have earned the gratitude of all Marlin owners around the world, for saving that old girl from the unknown. eh

·
Registered
990 Posts
Howdy there bbri4570,
Congrats on a nice looking rifle. How about some more info for those of us still learning the various types of Marlins? I did a brief look through my copy of Brophy's and did not turn up much info. they do mention the 336 models being available in 35 rem around '53, but that is about all I seen on first read. What is the significance of the Z in the serial # and letters RC? The barrel also looks a bit longer, is it a 24 inch barrel?
No matter what, she's a beauty. Ron

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: JACKTW

·
Administrator
27,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy there bbri4570,
Congrats on a nice looking rifle. How about some more info for those of us still learning the various types of Marlins? I did a brief look through my copy of Brophy's and did not turn up much info. they do mention the 336 models being available in 35 rem around '53, but that is about all I seen on first read. What is the significance of the Z in the serial # and letters RC? The barrel also looks a bit longer, is it a 24 inch barrel?
No matter what, she's a beauty. Ron
Ron,

This one's got a 20" barrel.

Marlin first made the 336 in 35 Rem in 1950.

It was made in the R.C. ( regular carbine ) with the pistol grip stock and full mag with the 20" barrel
Also made in the S.C. ( sporting carbine ) with pistol grip stock, 20" barrel, and half magazine.
And made in the 336A ( rifle ) with a 24" barrel, a half magazine, and pistol grip stock.
At some point, Marlin added the Texan, basically a S.C. with a straight stock.

The Z serial number prefix denotes the year of manufacture. More info here -

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...ar-code-production-dates-ser-1-sheet-pdf.html

Hope that helps.

B

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Hey Brian - nice catch!!

Question: Texan - isn't that an RC with the straight grip? Most of them say RC and seems like all I've seen in 336 were full magazine. The 30TK has the straight stock and a half magazine. I'll have mine at the WDRA II in August for your perusal. Nope, not for sale. Neither is my 336. I keep forgetting I have that. Probably ought to go shoot it. It's a Texan 35Rem, straight stock, full magazine, RC on the 20" barrel. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and variants of every model.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Now if I could find a Texan in 35 Remington it would come home with me this morning! I really want either a Texan or a 1950 waffle top SC. Either or any others would do, too. You got a great deal for only $300!!!!!!!! Amazing! There's several MO members who live right down the road here locally who obviously keep a close vigil on the same LGS that I frequent. So the early bird gets the worm! Congrats on a super deal!

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Great find. I always seem to "find" retail +10% deals, but I'm a weak man and I know it...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts