Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Scott and all the other members for the warm welcome to MO. I will try to post a couple pictures of my new (to me) 1895, believe it was made in 1972 (S/N B0033xx) Always wanted one of these, so did not quibble on the $700 cost. To me, they have a style and grace that seems to have been lost over the years.





Hopefully pictures show up...first time I have ever done this!
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Excellent choice miljimbob! It's only a matter of time before it multiplies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not saying the newer ones are any less desireable (actually looking at a GBL right now to keep her company) just seem to have a different look and purpose. Like all of our children, they all are beautiful in their own ways. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Excellent find... I have the cousin to yours. It has that wonderful micro-groove barrel. That means two bullets into one hole accuracy with the right loads.
Only problem I had was those dang pot-metal rear sights kept breaking. I yelled at Marlin after third one broke and they sent me a dozen for free. After two more broke, I went to a peep sight and have used a peep ever since.
Welcome to the family... if you set that rifle down in the dark, it will multiply and soon you'll have another. But such is life...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RAF said:
Excellent find... I have the cousin to yours. It has that wonderful micro-groove barrel. That means two bullets into one hole accuracy with the right loads.
Only problem I had was those dang pot-metal rear sights kept breaking. I yelled at Marlin after third one broke and they sent me a dozen for free. After two more broke, I went to a peep sight and have used a peep ever since.
Welcome to the family... if you set that rifle down in the dark, it will multiply and soon you'll have another. But such is life...
I have never had any problems with the Micro Grooved Marlins I have (.375) and have had (lots), maybe because I shoot mostly jacketed for hunting or low speed cast for fun.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,618 Posts
miljimbob , nice looking rifle ya have there..... Do yourself a favor and go back in an edit your serial number and put xxx for the last three numbers. You can do that by hitting the "modify" link at the top right of your post. Too many folks can get the data and list it as stolen.

BTW, welcome to the fold. ;D

1895gunner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
To miljinbob,
My 1895 had some hard years on a dogsled running traplines. Dumping the pot-metal rear sight for a peep sight was the best thing I ever did. I carried it in a seat-cover sleeve in the PU and broke a rear sight. Never broke one in our saddle scabbard.
I shoot jacketed bullets only in that micro-groove barrel with great accuracy.
It's a keeper, and will go to my grandson when I checkout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1895Gunner said:
miljimbob , nice looking rifle ya have there..... Do yourself a favor and go back in an edit your serial number and put xxx for the last three numbers. You can do that by hitting the "modify" link at the top right of your post. Too many folks can get the data and list it as stolen.

BTW, welcome to the fold. ;D

1895gunner
Thanks for the tip...never thought of that!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
That is a real beauty! I would have paid that too rather than risk it slipping away.. Of all the versions of the modern 1895 I still think it is hard to beat the original! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
eaglesnest said:
That is a real beauty! I would have paid that too rather than risk it slipping away.. Of all the versions of the modern 1895 I still think it is hard to beat the original! :)
I totally agree.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Very nice. Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RAF said:
Excellent find... I have the cousin to yours. It has that wonderful micro-groove barrel. That means two bullets into one hole accuracy with the right loads.
Only problem I had was those dang pot-metal rear sights kept breaking. I yelled at Marlin after third one broke and they sent me a dozen for free. After two more broke, I went to a peep sight and have used a peep ever since.
Welcome to the family... if you set that rifle down in the dark, it will multiply and soon you'll have another. But such is life...
RAF-
After I recently got my third .375 (hope I can hang onto this one!) I got a Skinner Express sight and got it mounted. Like it a lot and maybe I will have more invested that others will offer, so I will get to keep it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
That Skinner is a beauty... enjoy...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Jim, we need to shoot sometime! I'd love to see that beauty... Call me when you get south of GR, I'll call Roe Barenjager and Swany and we'll have a BIG time ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roan444 said:
Jim, we need to shoot sometime! I'd love to see that beauty... Call me when you get south of GR, I'll call Roe Barenjager and Swany and we'll have a BIG time ;)
Sounds good to me...we will do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Marlins will multiply..its a known fact. 8)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top