Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was not supposed to arrive until Friday but waiting in the den when I arrived home last night was the gun. Something arriving 2 days early ... that never happens !! LOL

Got it unboxed last night and played a little with it. Cocked and shot it 3 or 4 times empty and gave it the once over.

The trigger pull is much much much better than I was lead to believe and expect from the TONS of NEGATIVE COMMENTS I have read and heard on video reviews. That is not to say it is a rather long and arduous pull but it was not the big deal I was expecting. That being said I have also used a Ruger 380 LCP which makes you think you are going to have to wait a year to get the thing to fire and the Ruger .22 LCR has a long pull also but it's special trigger setup alleviates part of the long pull effort there. Will still do either the "Bearing Fix" or install the GTX-III that I have on order.

The stock is definitely going to have to be refinished and refined. It really looks pretty nice but I can't stand all of that exposed unfinished wood around the trigger and visible on the inside of the fore grip. Sure it is just an "Air Gun" ... but it just cost almost as much as a my .22 LR rifles and more the than my Winchester .243 which I bought in 1972 so I just can't have anything around with a fair amount of
$$$$$$$ investment that looks like it is just plain not finished. In addition to visual concerns I was taught by a master wood worker and finisher that you don't finish wood on one side and seal it and leave the opposite sides exposed and unfinished. Not a good situation for moisture over the long haul. Besides I wouldn't mind the stock being a little darker color with a more satin richer looking finish.

It did not come with a sling which I thought I had read in several places that it did. Will have to do some further research on that. Missed out on that today. Crosman's phone lines close at 4:30 pm eastern. I missed calling by an hour or so after I got off work today.

Next observation ... this thing is a beast. Well balanced and handles well enough, the thumb hole stock helps in that respect but it is HEAVY. Will take a little getting used to. It started out to be a little difficult for me to cock. Not the foot pounds of pull needed but the length of wing span. I am 5' 9" tall and it was a stretch to get the gun in a comfortable position to cock. Got it worked out but one of those kinda "Uh Oh" how am I gonna deal with this first impression things. Turns out it will not be a real problem or inconvenience.

The weight will tie it to the bench for a lot of target shooting for the kids for a while. They will be able to shoot a few rounds free standing or kneeling but the weight will wear on them pretty quick I imagine. But we will deal with that. The weight surely masked the fact it is an air rifle - sure would not know it in a blindfolded impression of the gun.

On to first impression shooting. I loaded the gun and put five pellets ( Benjiman 14.3 grain domed hollow point hunting • only thing available yesterday when I went to purchase • tried 4 different places ) in my pocket and headed out to the range and the plinking targets.

Winds were about 30 mph so this was not gonna be a long drawn out break in meet and greet with the new weapon. Just wanted to see how it did. I wasn't going to get any feel for grouping or accuracy in these conditions so I chose to get about 50' from the targets and let loose. So that is what I did. I was mildly surprised and pleased. Got 6 of 6 wagging the wind. 3 hits and 3 nicks. I was happy just to hit the darn thing.

So first impression - very positive - I think she will be a keeper and a welcome addition to the fold. Looking forward to the first nice day to set up the table and rest, get the scope sighted in and see how she groups.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Congrats, although if you'd like it to last, don't shoot it empty any more. Discharging against an empty chamber is an entreme stress on the mechanism.

All the best... Go to PyramydAir.com for pellets. Buy three get one free.

Reactions: rjtmac

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
No dry firing, it could cause issues. Congrats, you will like the pellet shooter!

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey R,

Way Cool!

End of your ammo "shortage"!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
956 Posts
Congrats on your new air rifle!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
RJT,
Congrats on the new rifle. I didn't get a sling with mine either so I used one from one of my other rifles. The sling pictured is used by straping it to the front and a quick detachable on the rear. If you put a split ring from a key chain to the front attachment then you can use a QD swivel there also.

Hip

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rjt, your Sling is in the mail.
The sling arrived yesterday ... signature required and we weren't home at time of delivery so we got a card to go the P.O. and pick it up. Wife made it up there today.

Thanks ... your generosity is muchly appreciated. I think I am gonna enjoy having a little assistance in carrying this large weapon out to the range and back. Only 50 yards out there but just having to tote the thing along with anything else I might need to take along is a chore.

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition! Sounds like your gonna get a lot of trigger time in...at very little cost!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Heres a real kick in the pants for you. In NJ that gun is illegal. The baffle is considered a silencer LOL.

Nice shooting. And nice gesture .35Rem.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres a real kick in the pants for you. In NJ that gun is illegal. The baffle is considered a silencer LOL.

Nice shooting. And nice gesture .35Rem.
You should consider leaving New Jersey and moving to America.
:vroam:pick a state and "Get thee south of the Mason Dixon line as soon as possible".:vroam:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts