Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just completed my latest project rifle, and here it is.

This rifle not only features the MIGHTY Safari Grade 35 modification, but it also features the culmination of something I have been working on and testing since I first put my personal SG 444 and SG 35 together. We are talking "years" of upgrading and improving upon an idea, testing it thoroughly (near 6000 high power Safari Grade 444 and 35 rounds, combined through both rifles) and bringing that idea to its ultimate conclusion......a Marlin 336, full tube magazine, twin barrel band lever gun.... with a floating barrel!

This modification not only allows the barrel to float for supreme accuracy and consistency, but aids in maintenance, and loading, etc, as well. This modification gives the rifle the rock solid feel of a bedded bolt gun, and eliminates the issues that are experienced with the OEM forearm, magazine tube, barrel bands, dove tails, etc.

This modification takes what is already the two most powerful 444 and 35 Rem Marlins that can be had, and ads a problem free double stock forearm/mag tube assembly that takes the Marlin lever gun to the next level of performance, consistency, and longevity. That being said, this rifle also features my usual pillar bedded butt stock.

So, here it is! A Marlin 336 that can produce gobs of power, will be bolt gun accurate and consistent, makes maintenance a breeze, aids in "scratch free" cartridge loading and unloading, and the nicest thing of all......it looks like a traditional wood stocked Marlin that came right off the shelf from you local Walmart!!!:flute:

Weather permitting the final range test will be completed this week, and then this rifle can go to a new home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Dibs ? Maybe. LOL

Can't wait for the range report.

·
Super Moderator
7,939 Posts
Are we going to get a breakdown of the mag tube and floating forearm mod, or is it proprietary?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when you sell it, are you giving out the secret formula alloy to the buyer?
No "secret formula alloy" here, Bryan....all the "buyer" needs to do is enjoy the trouble free rock solid platform and superb accuracy and consistency that the modification offers.....oh, and did I mention the power of the SG 35? Of course I did! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey FT... there's a bunch that you have done to this rifle that constitutes thinking outside of the box.... A lot.
That is the key, rooter..."thinking outside the box". I tend NOT to look at what "others have done"....that inhibits creativity..... the BEST ideas start from a clean slate and an open mind.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Can't wait to see the results! Great job once again Flat Top :D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can't wait to see the results! Great job once again Flat Top :D
Hey Jake; The testing for each rifle that I build consists only of running increasing loads up to a proof of performance load for each individual rifle. Each SG 35 MUST produce the required minimum in ft lbs with all bullet weights that are used in the modification, which right now is 260 and 310 grain bullets. (I am also going to be testing a new 230 grain bullet that forum member rooterpig has developed, and, it has shown great promise in previous tests). I have also shot 200 and 225 grain bullets that meet the required ft lb proof of performance.

The reason I dont do load/accuracy development for each rifle, is that the customers loading techniques, equipment, powder and primer lots, bullet choices, etc, will not be exactly what I would have on hand, so, I inform the customer of my test results so they can have a realistic guideline to follow when they start load workup with the rifle.....just like a reloading manual does for OEM cartridges....although a bit more specific.

The next step is to shoot the rifle with a load that I have found to be very consistent in the SG 35's I have built. What I am looking for without going into detailed accuracy load development, is consistency of group. The ammunition is so perfect, and uniform from shot to shot, that if there is an issue with the barrel, forearm/mag tube assembly, etc, it will show up in the group pattern...in other words if I get a nice uniform group, regardless of groups size, and taking in consideration the conditions, sighting equipment, distance shot, (my old eyes) etc, then the barrel will shoot smaller consistent groups with fine tuning of the loads by the customer.

I also think it is important that the customer take ownership of load development for their firearms. It allows them to refine loading technique, and, they can start at reduced midrange loads to get a feel for the rifle, or tailor a load to meet a specific need (hunting whitetail does not require the minimum requirement with these heavy weight bullets). The customer really becomes part of the process when he is allowed to partake in the process.

Anyway, once I am totally secure in the fact that everything is safe and ready to go, then and only then will I release the rifle for use. Most times this will be achieved first time out, and at other times, although few, adjustments need to be made to make the rifle perfect! I am looking forward to putting this rifle through its paces, and hopefully tomorrow is the day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
FT......Do you prefer Micro Groove or Ballard rifling for your project guns?

I have only shot cast bullets out of hand guns except for my 45-70 and have never put one into a big game critter as almost all of my shots are lung shots and I prefer an expanding bullet.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FT......Do you prefer Micro Groove or Ballard rifling for your project guns?

I have only shot cast bullets out of hand guns except for my 45-70 and have never put one into a big game critter as almost all of my shots are lung shots and I prefer an expanding bullet.
Either/ or on the rifling....in the 35's I really dont pay much attention to that.....more concerned with bore condition. For the 444 I like the 1-20 Ballard simply because it allows me to shoot heavier weight bullet (400 to 455 grain....so far) than the 1-38 Microgroove (350 grain is about tops...maybe a bit more).

Cast bullets will expand!!! You can make them do that!!!! Here is a photo of my 50/50 water quenched alloy that was shot into the jugs at 10 yards. I used my Safari 310 grain bullet in my SG 35. The bullet penetrated 9 or10 jugs (if memory serves me)....that is more than 6 ft or so of penetration and as you can see it mushroomed very well. I have a post on here somewhere that gives the results. Depending on the alloy and hardness, a cast bullet can be a near solid, or an expanding bullet. Just depends on your alloy and heat treating methods. I like the expanding alloy for deer...medium thin skinned game. For the tough/large thick skinned game a tough, hard alloy would be preferred....or if I wanted a bit of expansion I would use my 75/25 water quenched alloy. The sky is the limit with cast bullets...they can be whatever you want them to be.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts