Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wondering about these 17hmr's for a long time now, saw some advertised at a good price and decided to give one a go. Two weeks waiting on shipment to my local dealer then a month waiting for licencing red tape felt like an eternity.
Finally got the go to pick it up yesterday YAY!!
Off to the range straight after pick up to sight up the 6x40 nameless Chinese rubbish scope it came with and group test all available ammo brands, which consisted of Hornady 17gn Vmax and federal v-shock. It likes the Hornady with 3 shot clover leaves @85meters (longest I can get out of our range)
From the range a 250km drive to hunt some rabbits. Walked around a paddock with day light closing fast to dispach 1 flamen rabbit @ around 130 yards, instant kill.
Then the 250km drive back home again.
With all that I am very Happy with the rifle and so far most impressed with the 17hmr. With a better scope in the future I reckon there will be many good small game hunts in the making.. Not to mention Im finally a Marlin owner again ;D

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Goodonya Frank. Hope that bunny cooked up OK. I love bunny but I don't think I'd drive that far for one.
Anyway, glad she's a shooter and hope the bunnys become more pleantiful.

Cheers,
Mark.

Oh, don't forget the photos. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Congrats on the new hummer. I absolutely love my 917V and the .17hmr caliber. I use mine for squirrel hunting, it can be messy but they always die instantly.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
My brother won a 917V in a raffle recently and has been cleaning out the groundhogs on the 40 acres around his house. I went to visit him on Saturday, and we shot 5 of the pesky varmints in about 10 minutes while waiting on the women to clean up from dinner. It's a really nice groundhog gun with the heavy barrel. His longest shot to date with it is 163 yards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine seems to like the Hornady V-Max the best also. Although I only have 100 rounds through it, with a Cabelas Alpha 3-12x40 I was able to get 4 out of 5 into a nickle size group @ 100 yards. The flier (lol) was about 2" away from the main group. The trigger isn't the best, but I hope it will improve after a few more hundred rounds. So far, I'm happy that I purchased it for shooting crows at my weekend getaway. The energy at 100-150 yds makes them explode upon impact. Accurate, inexpensive, fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts