Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a 60 or 10 22 I heard the marlin is a bit more accurate out of the box I own a few marlin bolt rifles and they r straight shooters Im concerned with the quality of a new 60 any help would b appreciated

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Not sure about your area, but older Marlin Model 60's are plentiful around here. Since they are so readily available, I don't see why anyone would mess with the new ones. One other thought, with the Supreme Court allowing the lawsuits against Remington (Marlin parent company) to go forward, win or lose, Remington is going to spending big bucks for lawyers. That money has to come from somewhere, so I am sure cuts will be made in the manufacturing and customer service departments. How deep or how bad, no one knows. New Marlin has improved, but I fear this may be a setback, and it's not a risk I would take at this point.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Hey Blazer - Just wanted to chip in here. I had a 60 back in the early 70s - ?birch? stock with pressed checkering. About $30 at K-mart. I sold that some time later and recently got a 'new' one - 2014 from Mayfield KY. Laminate stock and Last Shot Hold Open. If you buy an older 60, be sure you have that option - it saves firing pin/chamber rim abuse ;) I believe that was added around 1985 or so. The forum has the year if you want to know, but its obvious when you look at a candidate. Another option is to get a 795, the drop-magazine fed model. Same action otherwise, but mostly only seen in synthetic stocks. Either one is WAYYY better than a 10/22, more accurate by far. I also have a Savage 64 and thats more accurate than the 10/22 and the Savage is only a $100 gun!!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I kinda lean to the older Marlins as well. That said, if I were to buy NEW today, it would likely be a Savage, great accuracy from mine. If money were no object, I might look at a CZ.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I’ll tell you my experience. Before I got full blown marlinitis I wanted a 10-22. Bought a ss/syn new 10/22 3 years ago. Out of the box shot fair, just fair. About 1.5-2” at 50yds. I can beat that with my MkII pistol. Lots of flex in the stock, and the supposedly reliable rotary mag jammed from dirt after 300rds, apparently they need taken apart and cleaned. Found out to get good, much less great accuracy id need a new trigger, barrel and stock. Screw that, sold it.
Found a nib 1994 60w at a gunshow for $120otd. Shoots 5/8-1” groups, and is totally reliable. Since then have bought several, the 60w still is my best shooter. Forget 10/22 unless you want to dump money into for fun.
Marlin 60=good accuracy out of the box for less$$
10/22= not as good accuracy without putting money into a already more expensive rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys i know your right just wanna b reassured. The 10 22 is prob a decent semi 22. But i want a little better accuracy so i will go with a new 60ss and take my chance with quality. Its not gonna cost me 500 dollars

·
Registered
4 Posts
@ Blazer

The '20 shot show is coming up in a couple months and new guns are going to be released. It's going to be the 60th anniversary of theModel 60, and from what I've read New Jersey supposedly no longer has the 15 shot limit for tube fed .22 rimfires. If Marlin sort of follows suite on the reportedly good selling 50th ann model there's a chance we might get a walnut stocked eighteen-nineteen round 60th ann. Model 60. I might be way off on what they'll release but it might be worth it to wait just a bit.

A used JM barrel stamped Model 60 is your best bet though if you don't have to have new. Every one of those older guns I've had or shot was a tackdriver at squirrel hunting distances.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I have it both ways, from a pile of old JM and Glenfield models and a brand new one. they're all sweet. and I enjoy them all equally.

The new one, (2018) is great. I inspected 3 at the store and they were all very tight and straight. grabbed the one I liked the best.

I will tell ya to still INSPECT every one. I have seen a few new Remington models that were wonky and I wouldn't touch.
slanted sights, HEAVY, gritty triggers, sharp edges, poor wood fit etc. Be aware there are some funky ones out there.

There are really good new ones out there. I just would NEVER buy one sight unseen. but it shouldn't be hard to find a good one rather easily.

Reactions: drinva

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Not as many after market parts for a Marlin 60 mostly because they don't need them.
There are two Squirrel 60's a Glenfield and an HG Higgins at my LGS at a little more than half the price of a new 60.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would lean into a patient search for a nice used 60, I usaully see a few nice ones at shows about every time in the buck to buck and quarter area and beaters less. Probably worst case is twenty bucks for a new buffer to install when you completely disassemble and clean when you get it anyway. Shoot-em, enjoy them, clean them, then repeat as needed.

Reactions: F150Grrl

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a new Marlin 60 I bought 6 weeks ago. Looked at 10/22 and went with the Marlin. I have just over 1000 rounds with no issues. A couple of weeks ago I was at the range shooting CCI SV at 100 yards. Guy 3 or 4 lanes down from me shooting 10/22 at 50 yards. My groups were better and he noticed and asked what I was shooting? He said 'ya want to buy a 10/22'.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My latest Marlin 60 was free. 1987 JM. Would not fire and had a butt ugly glued together stock. The end of the inner feed tube was broke. Found a kit on eBay to repair the inner tube. Got it shooting. Found a never used genuine marlin synthetic stock on eBay. Cleaned the steel with 0000 steel wool and gun oil. Cleaned up real nice! Put the new stock on. Now it looks good! Real good! The action was dirty and appeared tinkered with. Found a kit that included all the springs. Stripped it all down cleaned everything and put the kit in it last night. Looks new inside now! Took it behind the barn this morning and it shoots and cycles real good now! Still have less than what a used 60 would have cost and have had a lot of fun doing it! Thinking about adding a skinner rear barrel peep sight. I like the old ones!

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a new module 60 back in March, it had the synthetic stock which I like and a marlin scope which is garbage. I paid $225 plus another $25 on eBay for a Simmons scope. Very nice combo.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Blazer I found a nice 97 model in a pawn shop, I was very surprised at the price $119. Most of the time in pawn shops they want at least new price for rode hard & put wet.

Reactions: kentucky shooter

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got into Model 60’s last year and now have five of them. Three were made in 1989 with LSHO and 18 round tube; a 1979 Glenfield, and a relatively new 2004 model that holds 14 rounds.

my prices for these used guns ranged from $100 to $150. All in good but used condition from my local gun shop and my favorite pawn shop. Good deals are out there on JM models- but be prepared to give them a good internal cleaning and also assume the buffer ($15 or so) will need replaced. On an older gun, if the buffer shows no visible cracks it might last a while but I’d keep an eye on it.

$100 to $150 on the gun plus $15 for a buffer isn’t bad and you will have a nice gun.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There's a reason used 10/22s bring more than newer 60s and why older 60s bring more than most 10/22s.

Don't buy a new anything from anyone is my usual motto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did it and its a brand new 60

I must say its pretty nice shot 300 rounds of cci hollow point and not one single problem the fit and finish is decent inch to inch an a half at 50 yards good enough for me cant wait to go back to the range

·
Registered
298 Posts
I must say its pretty nice shot 300 rounds of cci hollow point and not one single problem the fit and finish is decent inch to inch an a half at 50 yards good enough for me cant wait to go back to the range
I hear good things about the new 60’s, bet it will be a good one for you. One thing is for sure, Model 60’s are priced right and I’m sure you didn’t get hurt. More updates and range reports as you break it in would be great when you can. Your initial report sounds great, congratulations!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would also lean more towards an older 60. Not too much to fixing up the vintage piece, if
it's not been abused.

New or used, 60's are cool. Like the decade I was born in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts