Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this isn't very impressive shooting, but the first time i've ever shot a 45-70, my first personal lever gun.

Picked it up this morning from the gunshop, went straight to the range. I do LOVE this gun. It took a while to figure out what to buy and then I found this one at a gunshow 2 weeks ago.

It seems to be shooting to the right about a "Dollar bill" at 50 yards with iron sights. I don't really like the sights on it, so first thing is to get new iron sights. Any and all advice, pictures, links to purchase appreciated, thanks.

I look forward to getting really good at shooting this gun. I was using some ammo from the gunshow - just to shoot. some stuff from MIWALLcorp or miwall.com

I was a little surprised at how to the right it is shooting, for one of the photos I was aiming at left side of target. But for the first time, I feel a little ok with some of the groups I was getting - admitting I must get MUCH better at shooting this thing.

who can tell me about better iron sights and where to see what they look like - where are photos of your iron sights?

Thanks

this is a great gun though, LOTS of fun!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with you on the factory sights. They are hard to see and leave something to be desired for real groupings at any distance. If you want to keep it simple and not go too far costwise, you might try one of the Williams peep sights. They mount right on the receiver in the rear scope holes. Chances are the bead front sight might be too short for this setup, but it will give you something to start with.

I used a Millett rear sight on my GG and it gave me the same sight picture as my old .45ACP I used in compition years ago. Combined with a Orange Millet front sight, it was real good. The Millett is very adjustable, but then you still have the same 14" sight radius as the original factory setup. The receiver sight will increase your sight radius and help to improve your groups.

I now use a long eye relief scope in a 1.5X-4X with a standard Weaver base and rings. My groups have shrunk to nickle size at 25 yds. and just under that of a quarter at 50. At 100 yds., I can, if I do my part...get half-dollar size groups with my best loads.

Wade

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle.

I have abandoned buckhorn sights a long time ago, much preferring an aperture sight, such as the Williams or Lyman sights. Don't leave Ashley or Skinner out as possibilities, either. Any are a huge improvement over the factory irons.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
SSH,

Congratulations and welcome to the 1895G 45-70. It is an aewsome little gun that is indeed fun to shoot but extreamly accurate too.

My 1895G has a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm scope and my best group with the new Nosler 300 gr BST went .400" at 100 yds!

JD338

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Make a pencil mark on the barrel right at the point of the rear sight ahead of the dovetail for a reference point. Now drift your rear sight to the left about 1/16 of an inch and shoot it again. All you need to do to drift the sight is tap on it with a brass hammer or using a brass punch and a regular hammer, be gentle. Then see how she shoots for you. Adjust as needed to center your group.

MM

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
MM got it covered on moving the rear sight. :)

So I’ll give direction on the front – if the point of impact POI is target right; then you will need to drift the front bead – also to the right…

I like most all of the open sight options available for the Marlins – some are better for different targets… Here is the way I set up my GBL. 8)

WWG rear peep with a Williams twilight aperture.

The front is a Brockman’s w/tritium winged post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts