Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just obtained my first Marlin lever gun about 3 weeks ago. It is a 444S which was made in 1982 (pre safety). I plan to take it with me on an elk hunt this September in British Columbia. I have hunted this area before and shots could range from 50 to 200 yards. Since I don't reload my own ammo does anyone have any recommendations on the best commercial ammo I should use on my hunt? Thanks...Mike

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Welcome aboard MRP, nice rifle you picked up!Great round. The 444 is a very good round for the reloader,but if I were to buy factory rounds for an Elk hunt I would go with something like Buffalo Bore 300gr or 330gr. They are expensive, but will get the job done with ease. I'm sure Flat Top and the others will be along shortly and give you some good advice. Welcome again to 444 club!
JB

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition of your new 444s

you will like the 444S, I have one I bought new in 1981, the only factory .444 ammo I have ever shot was the remington 240 gr., thats all there was back then and never had a reason to change other than my hand loads, it always worked for me, but now here are many new choices and you need to find what works best in your rifle, especially since there are many new choices available.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
you also need a straight stock version to go with it

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
a lot of folks like the new Hornady LE ammo, but I haven't tried it, I'm to stubborn to change, but many seem to be happy with the results, it is worth trying since every rifle is going to have it's own preference, you will now which ammo to use once you had 'em all on the dance floor, just remember to keep an open mind as you you test each one at the range

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like the Hornady Superformance rounds... but they are reallt hard to find... the Pointed tip Hornadys are okay as well, but not my favorite... Also remington makes some core-lokt 240 grain that are decent as well

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I have the same rifle mines a 77 model and I love it!!! I haven't shot anything with it yet though but all that will change this hunting season!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Sad days we live in getting ammo, it's really not what's best, it's what you can find, the creeks dry on the once upon a time, good ammo, you may do a scorched earth run on the web and try and find the Hornady super performance, or anything with a 300gr or larger bullet.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Welcome to the 444 forum. You made a great choice and just wait till you see the performance of the 444 on large game....you should be thoroughly impressed! Many here who use factory ammo swear by the 265 grain Superformance ammo with the 265 grain Interlock FP bullet. It develops over 3000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and over 1500 ft lbs at 200 yards. To put that in to perspective for you, the power of the 444 with the 265 Superformance load at 200 yards, would deliver the power of the 475 Linebaugh with the 400 grain bullet at the muzzle, or, at 200 yards it would be like shooting your elk at point blank with the 475 Linebaugh 400 grain bullet load. Even at 300 yards, this load would deliver the power of a 44 mag with a 240 grain bullet...again, a point blank shot!!! For those that dont hand load ammo, that is some pretty impressive performance!!!!

Good luck and good hunting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the welcome to the Forum and the advise on the ammo. I have purchased the Hornady FTX rounds. Cannot find any of the Superformance rounds. Contacted Hornady and they replied that the do not have a tentative date to start making them again. I read that CorBon makes some impressive rounds too but no one has them in stock either. Has Anyone out there ever used the CorBon rounds on elk and what did you think of them?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.