Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today I picked up my first ever Marlin, a 39A. It's new and the lever action is a bit stiff/rough. Does this go away with use or do I need to have a gunsmith tweak it? In any case, I put a Skinner peep sight on it and it's a good shooter.

Ike.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Stiff when new, but it would be good to take down clean and put a light coat of oil. If it is a new Marlin made by Remington then you probably have metal shavings to clean out. ::) Got pictures? ;D ;D You don't need to take it as far apart as this one. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
janott said:
Stiff when new, but it would be good to take down clean and put a light coat of oil. If it is a new Marlin made by Remington then you probably have metal shavings to clean out. ::) Got pictures? ;D ;D You don't need to take it as far apart as this one. ;)
No pictures yet, but I'm pretty sure it is a Marlin made by Marlin. The barrel roll mark is "JM" and I thought I read somewhere that is the mark of the old company. I'm guessing JM stands for John Marlin? Maybe not, just seemed logical. :)

Yeah, when I get a little braver with it I will take it down and clean and lube per your recommendations. In the mean time I've given the barrel a good cleaning after the initial outing with the Otis cable, some patches, and some Ballistol.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
With the JM it is an original 8) 8) Break down is simple, use a quarter to turn the break down screw and then turn the rest of the way by hand. The with the hammer at the first notch the rifle can be twisted apart. They say to tap the rear stock to the right but I have a hard time to do this while holding the front and the back at the same time. ??? ;D Lever needs to be closed to reassemble.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
That rough levering will indeed go away after 1000 rds or so. You can speed it up though. Mine, new had a "catch" on the return trip up. Faster levering bypassed it, but slow, it would catch. Very lightly hone internal part faces, edges and grease with lithium grease. Shoot 400-500 rds clean and oil. Should be smoother. Light honing is taking off virtually nothing, just smoothing the roughness of the machining, which appears these days to be "rough".
Sounds like a good one, if it shoots good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts