Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Premium Member
I'wondering if the old style Rem. 760 magazine are still available. I was told that the new style 7600 can be made to work, but this was before Rem. changed hands and things went south.
I bought some old style on ebay before it change hands so I'm good.
To NY馃椊

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Numrich has the butt plate:

Buttplate, Early Style, Aluminum | Gun Parts Corp. or

I don't know if it needs the spacer, but if it does, here you go: Buttplate Spacer, New Factory Original | Gun Parts Corp.

That is an excellent score. I would love to have one with the receiver sight/
That is the one I ordered along with the screws.
There were some on ebay that looked like that for ~$15 but I ordered from gunpartscorp so I would not have to guess if it is correct.

Registered
I'm with REK. Hunt with some history. I came across a '51 vintage waffle top in 35 Rem, long story, but its great. Had already been drilled and tapped but.. love it. I also swap out and hunt with a Rem 722 in 300 Savage I found in a pawn shop, along with a Win Mod 100 on 243. Older guns are great, gives me some nostalgia, makes me concentrate so I don't disgrace them ! 馃ぃ馃榿

Premium Member
Nice rifle. Good save. Where I grew up, Rem 760's were called 'Amish Machine Guns'.
I heard pump rifle鈥檚 called Pennsylvania automatic.
TO NY

Reactions: utvolsfan77

Registered
$400 for any vintage Marlin Chambered in 35 REM is a BARGAIN! Being that you intend to hunt with that rifle, the not so perfect condition is a none issue. To this day, the 35 REM is still my favorite caliber, especially in my home state of PA. Bears are everywhere. No matter WHAT I am hunting, I know I can take down a good size black bear with that rifle if I had too. I never felt under-gunned!

Be sure to Post your results of your first hunting endeavor. :giggle:

Mike T.

Registered
Yes, most 760's are amazing with accuracy. Back when we still had live turkey shoots in Pennsylvania, those guys with 760's really cleaned house. Makes you wonder what the big "To do" is about bedding rifles. Look at all the junk hanging under the 760 barrel.
Boy, you have that right. I like my 7600 in .308 a lot. It has good accuracy in spite of all the equipment below the barrel. 760's were ubiquitous with the PA hunters.

Registered
Though it isn't a Marlin, your rifle is a 35 Rem and it can stay in the 35 Rem section as far as I am concerned! I use Lever powder in all my 35 Rem reloads. With the 200 gr SP Hornady bullet--I can attain ~2400 FPS MV from my 760 along with great accuracy. It certainly is a deer stomper and can also handle any black bear in my hunting area.
The great thing about the 760 is you can load the SP bullets for better BC. At +/- 2400 fps you are getting .358 Win performance which is really impressive. Not only do you have a quick rifle for deer and black bear you have a really nice set-up for elk, too. I haven't migrated to the Lever powder yet. I've been using 3031 for years loading the Speer 180, also around 2400 fps. With the 200 grain Horny 200 you're way beyond the ballistics of my 180's. But, the lock-up on the 760 is stronger than the Marlin so I need to keep the pressures just a hair lower.

Registered
Started cleaning up and was able to get the paint off the forearm with some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits. Clean the trigger and worked over the rust spot with oil and brass scraper. Cleaned up fairly good. View attachment 888104 View attachment 888105 View attachment 888106
Took off the receiver sight base and filled the holes with plug screws.
View attachment 888107
Trigger was pretty good at just a hair over 4 pounds.
View attachment 888108
Does anyone know what the correct but plate would look like for a 1980 with this style stock?
Yours is a great story all around. From being in the right place at the right time to taking the time to refurbish a classic firearm and make it look almost like new is impressive.

Registered
I鈥檓 pushing my 7600 35 Rem around 2350/2450fps if I remember with 180 grain Speers. It鈥檚 loaded a hair over book and shoots sub MOA. The combo does great on whitetail. I also cast a 200 grain hollow point loaded with 40 grains of varget that shoot all in the same hole at 100 yards. It has an average muzzle velocity of 2100 fps out of my 336. It鈥檚 my avatar. My 7600 30-06 will shoot just as tight as my avatar with 180 grain hand loaded core locts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I鈥檓 pushing my 7600 35 Rem around 2350/2450fps if I remember with 180 grain Speers. It鈥檚 loaded a hair over book and shoots sub MOA. The combo does great on whitetail. I also cast a 200 grain hollow point loaded with 40 grains of varget that shoot all in the same hole at 100 yards. It has an average muzzle velocity of 2100 fps out of my 336. It鈥檚 my avatar. My 7600 30-06 will shoot just as tight as my avatar with 180 grain hand loaded core locts.
What powder are you using with the 180 grain in the 35 Remington?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts