Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Though it isn't a Marlin, your rifle is a 35 Rem and it can stay in the 35 Rem section as far as I am concerned! I use Lever powder in all my 35 Rem reloads. With the 200 gr SP Hornady bullet--I can attain ~2400 FPS MV from my 760 along with great accuracy. It certainly is a deer stomper and can also handle any black bear in my hunting area.
Being some what new to reloading the 35 Rem I erred on the side of more expansion. Have only shot deer with Remington Corelok's and Hornady 200 gr FTX so far.
I have a good supply of Speer 180's, couple boxes of Speer 220 gr, Hornady 200 gr FTX and some 200 gr Sierra's on hand. I also have found that Hornady Lever Powder works quite well in the 35 Rem and for the 30-30 Win load's I have tried so far.
Will have to pick up some Hornady 200 gr SP if I can drive them faster than 2200 fps.
If you wouldn't mind sharing, how much LVR are you using to get 2400fps? I would work up to a safe level with my rifle of course.

Thanks everyone for all the input so far.

REK

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow!!! Great job. I have the 30-06 in the 7600. As a matter of fact I had it at the range Thursday. I found an older gloss finished Leupold 2.5-6-36 at a LGS and it just seemed to want to sit atop the 7600. Again great find and an awesome price too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Don’t know when the ole girl was hunting last, but she was ready. 1st shot from the half box of Remington’s that came with it went right on target.
Rectangle Branch Organism Art Font

The rest of the group made it 3”
180 Speer and 45 gr of LVR 2.5”
180 Speer and 46 gr of LVR 2.375”
When I look at 8 of the 9 shots seems like two separate 1” groups.
Might not hurt to pull the scope off and make sure that everything is tight.

REK

·
Registered
366 Posts
nice find!!!!! i enjoy older guns more than the buggered up plastic guns they have now.

my son was given by great grandpappy a rem 760 in '06 and i think(but not sure) that it was a 1952 or 53. my dad (RIP) had a 1969 or 70 in the m760 that is an '06. i have alot of memories of my dad with that gun. i had a m760 in 308 and after i got a black bear with it, deer would not come, so i sold it.

Reactions: utvolsfan77 and REK

·
Registered
670 Posts
That vintage Model Remington 760 in .300 Savage was my favorite Virginia woods rifle for many years until it malfunctioned on the top of a mountain. Remington replaced it free with a newer model in 1978. I dropped many deer with it including my first Virginia 8-point.

I bought mine in 1960 from an Army buddy for $40 which was all the money I had earning about $90 a month as an E-4 at Ft. Meade, Maryland.

Your report and pictures brought back many great memories. You did a good job bringing it back to life.

Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another thought: When the Remington Model 760 was out a few years an Olympic shooter named Fred Davis used them in competition and at least two of his 760s were chambered in 6 mm. These were very accurate rifles and much later he had them for sale at his gun and gunsmith shop in Fairfax, Virginia. I should have been smart enough to buy one, but I wasn't. I remember the 760 as being a fast shooter and accurate and a rather desirable rifle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've always wanted one with the shorter "carbine" length barrel. I had a short 30/06 (family gun) and my kids used it with somewhat reduced loads, it was a freezer filler :)

It was the wife's grandfather's gun so when she passed it went to her brother. One of their guns had that same sling too, not sure if it was the 760 or another one.

In this market, you got a good deal :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stopped at local gun store on my way home from work yesterday to see if he had any new levers taken in. Was about to head out when the owner told me he had a couple of guns that he bought but didn’t have them marked yet and one was a 35 Remington.
Turns out to be a model 760 made in 1980 with a Weaver K4 on it.
Now the bad. Had a Sears red recoil pad instead of the original butt plate. View attachment 888092 View attachment 888093
And it was drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight and the original rear sight was replaced with a marbles dovetail blank. View attachment 888094
Bluing wasn’t bad but had rust mark from something on left side of the receiver.
View attachment 888095 View attachment 888096
Stock had some paint or something on the forearm and gouge on the but stock.
View attachment 888098 View attachment 888099 View attachment 888100
Asked how much and he said what do you think. Told him maybe $400 but he was closing and I said I would get back to him today. Spent all last night researching 35 Remington model 760’s and decided to buy it if the stock hadn’t been cut off and if the bore was good. Stock good and the bore was great, so it came home with me.
View attachment 888101 View attachment 888102
Half box of Coreloks and sweet sling sealed the deal $400 OTD

REK
I have a 1951 35 REM 336sc that my dad gave me when I was a teen , Only been fired a dozen times, Just like new, I put a rail on it by a gunsmith, no pre tapped holes. Now have an ACOG scope on it,
Also just got a Ruger /Marlin 1895 45-70

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How much do you expand the neck on new brass for reloading. I have all of the Lee dies. I have not been able to find information on expanding the neck.
I just size to the shoulder and check with Hornady comparator to make sure I don’t set it back more than .003” from the chamber it was fired in. As far as expanding I just run it to whatever size the Hornady die sizes it to.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
How much do you expand the neck on new brass for reloading. I have all of the Lee dies. I have not been able to find information on expanding the neck
I just use the Lee universal expander on Mr 35rem Have not found a 35rem mdie like the 30-30 and 38-55.
RCBS has neck expander by size like .358.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have a 1951 35 REM 336sc that my dad gave me when I was a teen , Only been fired a dozen times, Just like new, I put a rail on it by a gunsmith, no pre tapped holes. Now have an ACOG scope on it,
Also just got a Ruger /Marlin 1895 45-70
I have a 1958 336SC that I deer hunted with last year. Love the balance of that model.
Terrestrial animal Fawn Carnivore Tail Sporting Group

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stopped at local gun store on my way home from work yesterday to see if he had any new levers taken in. Was about to head out when the owner told me he had a couple of guns that he bought but didn’t have them marked yet and one was a 35 Remington.
Turns out to be a model 760 made in 1980 with a Weaver K4 on it.
Now the bad. Had a Sears red recoil pad instead of the original butt plate. View attachment 888092 View attachment 888093
And it was drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight and the original rear sight was replaced with a marbles dovetail blank. View attachment 888094
Bluing wasn’t bad but had rust mark from something on left side of the receiver.
View attachment 888095 View attachment 888096
Stock had some paint or something on the forearm and gouge on the but stock.
View attachment 888098 View attachment 888099 View attachment 888100
Asked how much and he said what do you think. Told him maybe $400 but he was closing and I said I would get back to him today. Spent all last night researching 35 Remington model 760’s and decided to buy it if the stock hadn’t been cut off and if the bore was good. Stock good and the bore was great, so it came home with me.
View attachment 888101 View attachment 888102
Half box of Coreloks and sweet sling sealed the deal $400 OTD

REK
That's what they call a five diamond model. Hard to find. Very hard to find in 35. Great buy. Bill

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
My first 35 cal. rifle is a Rem.760-35R.: I was in a sporting goods/ gunsmith store taking to the owner who is a friend too a good 35+ year ago. A man came with his Rem.760-35R and sold it to the store keep. After the man lelt I ask to see the rifle, it was like new so I said I like to buy it. Store keep said $150., I'll take it and went home with it.
TO NY🗽

·
Registered
189 Posts
21 - 40 of 56 Posts