Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped at local gun store on my way home from work yesterday to see if he had any new levers taken in. Was about to head out when the owner told me he had a couple of guns that he bought but didn’t have them marked yet and one was a 35 Remington.
Turns out to be a model 760 made in 1980 with a Weaver K4 on it.
Now the bad. Had a Sears red recoil pad instead of the original butt plate. Wood Rectangle Wood stain Gas Hardwood
Wood Bag Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

And it was drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight and the original rear sight was replaced with a marbles dovetail blank. Air gun Pen Trigger Gas Office supplies

Bluing wasn’t bad but had rust mark from something on left side of the receiver.
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Grille Automotive exterior
Photograph White Light Black Bumper

Stock had some paint or something on the forearm and gouge on the but stock.
Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Wood stain
Material property Natural material Wood Tints and shades Electric blue
Wood Bag Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Asked how much and he said what do you think. Told him maybe $400 but he was closing and I said I would get back to him today. Spent all last night researching 35 Remington model 760’s and decided to buy it if the stock hadn’t been cut off and if the bore was good. Stock good and the bore was great, so it came home with me.
Window Wood Air gun Machine gun Trigger
Bottle Drinkware Liquid Glass bottle Barware

Half box of Coreloks and sweet sling sealed the deal $400 OTD

REK

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started cleaning up and was able to get the paint off the forearm with some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits. Clean the trigger and worked over the rust spot with oil and brass scraper. Cleaned up fairly good. Line Air gun Automotive exterior Gun accessory Bicycle part
Wood Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Metal Gun accessory
Wood Air gun Wood stain Hardwood Musical instrument

Took off the receiver sight base and filled the holes with plug screws.
Material property Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Font Gas

Trigger was pretty good at just a hair over 4 pounds.
Air gun Guitar accessory Line Trigger Gun barrel

Does anyone know what the correct but plate would look like for a 1980 with this style stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Butt plate would be checkered aluminum anodized black with the sides polished bare aluminum. A 20 gauge 870 stock/ butt plate is identical and is usually cheaper and easier to find.
Thanks, been seeing all different model 760 but plates on ebay, and I am trying to narrow it down a bit. Going to keep the stock as it has not been cut down.

REK

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nice rifle and great price! Funny, I have the exact same sling from that era. I had it on a Remington Model 700 '06 that would kick you into eternity. Enjoy your new gun!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turns out to be a model 760 made in 1980 with a Weaver K4 on it.
Things weren't making sense so I looked up the date code again, it was made in 1954 not 1980.
Explains the stock, older K4 scope and the metal dust cover.
Probably should have posted this in the General gun related off topic stuff.

REK

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
Great pick-up and rescue of a classic woods rifle--congrats! I have a 1979 Rem 760 in 35 Rem and love to hunt with it. I use 200 gr Hornady SP Interlocks in mine and they are very effective on deer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That five diamond is definitely a 50’s gun , I think those had the aluminum but plate and you can find them on eBay. I love my 760 in .35 , took this buck with it last year. On ya you got a real good deal !
That is a fantastic buck! I have been putting the excitement back into deer hunting the past few years by using vintage deer rifles, there is something special about using an older rifle, kind of connects you back to days gone bye.
Did not look at the date code chart close enough and missed the 1954, knew it wasn't a 1932 and read that 35 were brought back for 1979 and 80, most of the earlier 760's I have seen before had the vertical grooves on the forearm. Definitely need to learn some more about the 760 but that is a bonus of purchasing it.
I asked the owner about who sold the guns to him, he said it was an older gentleman that wanted to get rid of them, he also traded in an older 16 gauge looking A5, pretty sure it was a Browning.

REK

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
Things weren't making sense so I looked up the date code again, it was made in 1954 not 1980.
Explains the stock, older K4 scope and the metal dust cover.
Probably should have posted this in the General gun related off topic stuff.

REK
Though it isn't a Marlin, your rifle is a 35 Rem and it can stay in the 35 Rem section as far as I am concerned! I use Lever powder in all my 35 Rem reloads. With the 200 gr SP Hornady bullet--I can attain ~2400 FPS MV from my 760 along with great accuracy. It certainly is a deer stomper and can also handle any black bear in my hunting area.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts