Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 336Y for my Godson today. I'm going to be taking him on his first deer hunt this fall and I wanted something special for him. The rifle's action is much smoother than I had expected, the sights are lined up on top of the barrel and the wood to metal fit is as good as it gets. You can tell I've read too many horror stories about the new Marlins, but I was very happy with the gun overall. One big departure from the Marlins of old is the wood finish. I know it's a hardwood stock, not walnut, but there doesn't seem to be a finish or sealer on it other than just stain. Certainly not the old Mar-shield finish. Is this the new norm for hardwood stocked Marlins? I already removed the stock and plan to put a finish on it using either tung oil or Tru-oil. I always liked to put a sealer on the parts that aren't normally seen anyway, such as under the fore end and under the butt plate. It also gives me a chance to give all the metal parts a good coat of wax before I reinstall the stock.
All the best,
Don

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the 336Y apart today and gave the stock and forend just one coat of tung oil. I made sure I coated the bare wood under the butt plate and in the tang area of the stock, front and back on the forend and also in it's magazine channel. While it was apart I put a coat of no oxide grease on the underside of the barrel where it is against the magazine tube under the forend, the end of the magazine tube where it fits into the receiver, the notch in the barrel where the barrel band screw goes through and on all of the screw threads.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
Don, having run into issues with the 'y' model I bought for the girls, now resolved, shoot that thing yourself and inspect the cartridge case for any adverse signs. Probably just fine, but mine had a headspace issue. (bright wide ring just forward of the head)

John

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Good for your Godson!

It is my impression that Marlin is still using the Marshield, that it is now a matte finish though... Maybe they missed your one...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good for your Godson!

It is my impression that Marlin is still using the Marshield, that it is now a matte finish though... Maybe they missed your one...
When I put the tung oil on this stock it absorbed into the wood the way it should if it was unfinished wood. I'm glad it did absorb in, but that's not something that would normally occur if the wood had a finish already on it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don, having run into issues with the 'y' model I bought for the girls, now resolved, shoot that thing yourself and inspect the cartridge case for any adverse signs. Probably just fine, but mine had a headspace issue. (bright wide ring just forward of the head)

John
Thanks for the heads up! I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. I have several different factory loads to try in it as I always like to start with factory loads in case there is an issue. I also handloaded a few loads to try in it. I was hoping to get to the range on Monday, but the forecast has rain in it for the next 7 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.