Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I finally got my money saved and plan to buy a 336W down the street within a week. I had been wondering if the triggers on the newer guns made in the last year or so were still heavy like some of the older 336's? More a curiosity thing I guess, since I have a gunsmith literally a block from my house I can always have him do a trigger job if needed.

I'm hitting a gun show on Sunday, and there's always the chance I'll come across a used gun at the right price, which would mean all bets are off on the new one. But I'm not counting on that. Just waiting to buy until after the show in case I come across a deal or something there.

This will be my second Marlin, the other being a tube-fed 22. But Daddy finally gets his lever-gun!

·
Super Moderator
16,721 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... All Marlin triggers are kind of a hit or miss situation... My 336W was 6 lbs. factory, my buddies was 4.5 lbs. factory... There easy to work on though...

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Kingsknight Welcome, good luck at the show. What cal are you looking for, I think the GS has a 336 30-30 , yep if you are interested PM me I'll tell you what I know. Mike

Reactions: LDThornton

·
Registered
887 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good reading here about the Remington 336's. Be prepared and get to know the rifle so that you will know what to watch out for before you go shopping for one. YMMV.....Lonnie

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2014 Remlin that had a terrible trigger. I replaced it with a Wild West Gun "Trigger Happy" kit and it was great! Recently I was able to re-acquire my 1967 336RC, and thought I'd put a Wild West Trigger into it too. But the trigger in my 1967 was almost identical to the trigger I put into my Remlin. I'm a happy camper now on both counts!

Rick

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Ric welcome to the forum...:beer:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hello KingsKnight and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!! Good luck on your search or new purchase. I have a 2015 336BL, I don't know what the trigger pull weight is, but it feels fine to me. My everyday carry is a S&W 642 38, which is known to have a 12# or more trigger pull, so I guess that's why I don't notice it being a hard trigger pull. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went and cruised the gun show, but the only Marlins to be had started at about $500, which didn't really fit my $400'ish budget (allowing for tax and background check fee). But after wandering most of the show, I came across a guy selling a Mossberg 464, the price wasn't bad and he was willing to deal some too (it was already Sunday afternoon). So... the Mossberg followed me home; I guess I'll just have to keep her. ;) I had taken a pistol with me to possibly work a trade or sell outright, and found a dealer that gave me a pretty good price for it. So I turned around and used some of that cash to buy a scope for the 464. The iron sights are okay, but my over-fifty eyes are going to appreciate the scout scope I think.

Now, before y'all get the Tar and Feathers, I do still own a Marlin 60!

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
975 Posts
But after wandering most of the show, I came across a guy selling a Mossberg 464, the price wasn't bad and he was willing to deal some too (it was already Sunday afternoon). So... the Mossberg followed me home; I guess I'll just have to keep her. ;)
Well, things happen. I went looking for a Mossberg or Marlin and found a Marlin 336W. Then, I went looking for a Marlin 336C and found a Henry H009 instead. It seems like it was calling me. :call2: So, I brought it home. It seems like it fits right in. :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 336W. The trigger on it is pretty decent. No grit and clean break. Didn't measure the trigger with a scale, but I would guess it's around 5lbs. Like all Marlins it has the "flop". I have some older JM guns, and the triggers are no better. I consider the 336W as just a "tool" made for getting the job done in the hunting woods. When I want to impress people on the range, I bring my JM Marlins. When I'm in the woods hunting, I leave the "range queens" at home and bust out the Remlins. Never had my hands on a Mossberg 464, so I can't really comment on your purchase. Good luck with it. I have read some horror stories about them, so I hope you got a good one.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just curious. How much are you paying for the background check? FYI, I have bought or traded dozens of guns with dealers in many places across Texas and have never paid a fee. Most phone plans include all distance. FBI doesn't charge a fee. Where is the cost other than two minutes time provided the computers are up and running?

·
Registered
109 Posts
marlin trigger are very easy to work on. the instructions that are here on this site makes it easy. you can buy the happy trigger ($99.00 plus dollars) or just do the work yourself ($00.00). i got two happy triggers several years ago and still had to clean them up to get the trigger weight/pull that i want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts