Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at one of the new 336Ws at Walmart today. Wood to metal fit was good with not a mark or ding on it, finish was good, sights and barrel lined up nice and straight.. Cycling the action was a bit rough, but just needed standard smoothing up tricks. Barrel was roll marked from CT, but had the Rem proof mark on the right side of the barrel. I am not looking for one, but if I won it in a raffle I would sure keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
For the bargain series rifle, I have yet to see a 336W with cosmetic or mechanical flows.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I bought one of the "plain Jane" 336A's from Dicks back in '07....fit and finish are perfect as I was allowed to look over all 13 guns they had in the store ..picked out the best of them all which was hard as they were all great....I was lucky to have made a great choice...its one of my most prized 336's...it shoots everthing I've fed it great and some loads it borders on phenomenol...the 150 Speers over H335 will literally shoot one ragged hole all day long ..hot barrel ..cold barrel...2 shots or 10...makes no difference...I wish it was a prettier walnut gun...but will I touch it and take the chance of disturbing the rifles thinking its a benchrest gun...not a chance!!!...in my eyes ..its the most beautiful 336 30-30 in the world!

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
We stopped at a local WalMart tonight, and they had a new 336W on the rack with an MR serial number, so I figured it was made in Ilion. I thought, what the heck and took a look at it. Fit and finish were fine. There's just a little hitch when starting to close the lever. That should go away when it is worked in a bit. So, it went home with me. Pictures will be posted as soon as I figure out how to use my new camera.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hope you are fortunate as I was to get a great shooter Brian ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I checked out the 336W in the rack at my local Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago. It had an MR serial number and REM proofmark so it was an Ilion rifle. It was trigger locked and zip-tied closed so I couldn't check the action, but the bluing was good and the wood looked decent. Only real problem I could see was that the stock fitting was not the greatest. I wouldn't have bought that particular one, but if they had one with a better fitted stock I might have been tempted. I'm sure somebody else who is less of a, ahem, connoisseur of Marlins will pick it up and think its just dandy. It looks to me like Remington is putting a lot of attention into the 336W line - as well they should since it is their big-box store model and will probably be fondled by more people than any other model - and managing to crank out some fairly decent rifles despite the problems in other models. I hope that's a good sign for the future. In the meantime I'll still swing by the gun rack at Wal-Mart whenever I'm there and check out the 336W in the case. Maybe one will follow me home too... ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1 ;D
CalvinMD said:
Hope you are fortunate as I was to get a great shooter Brian ;)

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Thanks for the good words guys. To date, every Marlin I've gotten has been a real nice shooter. I don't see where this one will be any different. The wood looks pretty good for birch too. Now, both Marla and I have 336W's. Marlinitis strikes again. ;D ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everybody, new to to forum and have found tons of good stuff on here. I've been looking for a 336 for some time here without having to drive over an hour to get one. I have checked the local walmart everytime I've gone by and they never had one...until last week ;D priced at only $354 I had to pick it up (btw my first lever action and only second Marlin). It was all tied up so I couldn't work the action or "check it out" all that well but it looked good to me. Bought a box of bullets and hopefully I'll be out to the range sooner than later.

But here is my dilema. My wife is prego and due any day now so i will have to wait for awhile, but all the in-laws will be in town soon and I'm planning on breaking loose to take a break from them at some point :)

Anyways, this looks like a really great forum I'm sure I'll spend quite some time on here in the future.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Welcome aboard Miagraman. You won't find a nicer bunch of folks willing to share info and experience regarding America's Rifle (s). Congratulations in the soon arrive of a future heir to your first Marlin. It probably won't be your last, and thats a good thing. ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
MIGRAman said:
Hi everybody, new to to forum and have found tons of good stuff on here. I've been looking for a 336 for some time here without having to drive over an hour to get one. I have checked the local walmart everytime I've gone by and they never had one...until last week ;D priced at only $354 I had to pick it up (btw my first lever action and only second Marlin). It was all tied up so I couldn't work the action or "check it out" all that well but it looked good to me. Bought a box of bullets and hopefully I'll be out to the range sooner than later.

But here is my dilema. My wife is prego and due any day now so i will have to wait for awhile, but all the in-laws will be in town soon and I'm planning on breaking loose to take a break from them at some point :)Anyways, this looks like a really great forum I'm sure I'll spend quite some time on here in the future.

Good luck with that. My wife hides my bullets when my inlaws are in town.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
MIGRAman, welcome to MO!! Enjoy yourself here, lots of good folks and information to be found on this site. Enjoy your new Marlin, post pictures and range report when possible. Please post pictures of you new family addition when born, all us dads and Granddads do love those pictures as well. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
MIGRAman said:

But here is my dilema. My wife is prego and due any day now so i will have to wait for awhile, but all the in-laws will be in town soon and I'm planning on breaking loose to take a break from them at some point :)

Anyways, this looks like a really great forum I'm sure I'll spend quite some time on here in the future.
Welcome to the forum!

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
FredT said:
Looked at one of the new 336Ws at Walmart today. Wood to metal fit was good with not a mark or ding on it, finish was good, sights and barrel lined up nice and straight.. Cycling the action was a bit rough, but just needed standard smoothing up tricks. Barrel was roll marked from CT, but had the Rem proof mark on the right side of the barrel. I am not looking for one, but if I won it in a raffle I would sure keep it.
Fred,

Thanks for the information on the 336W!

Catherine

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I bought one of the "plain Jane" 336A's from Dicks back in '07....fit and finish are perfect as I was allowed to look over all 13 guns they had in the store ..picked out the best of them all which was hard as they were all great....I was lucky to have made a great choice...its one of my most prized 336's...it shoots everthing I've fed it great and some loads it borders on phenomenol...the 150 Speers over H335 will literally shoot one ragged hole all day long ..hot barrel ..cold barrel...2 shots or 10...makes no difference...I wish it was a prettier walnut gun...but will I touch it and take the chance of disturbing the rifles thinking its a benchrest gun...not a chance!!!...in my eyes ..its the most beautiful 336 30-30 in the world!
Yeah, a couple of years back I got one of those "Plain Jane" 336A's from Dicks, too. They only had 1 at the time, and I was taking advantage of their post-Thanksgiving "Black Friday" sale, so I really couldn't wait for another one without losing out on the sweet deal. It has turned out to be a really nice rifle. Like yours, mine shoots just about anything I feed it at least passably well, most loads quite well and some loads are just plain outstanding. Yeah, I also get really good results with H335, and not only with that (sadly, it looks like they are out of production) 150 gr Speer but with a number of other bullets as well. My only complaint with it was that it came with a package "China Special" el-cheap-o 3-9x40 scope, which was a total POS -- it self destructed during the 3rd box of Remington 150 gr factory loads. I replaced that scope & rings with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 and low profile Leupold QRW rings and am just tickled to death with it. Yeah, it has the cheaper stained hardwood instead of the pretty walnut, but honestly I don't care all that much about that. It still looks good in my eyes. I didn't buy it for it was pretty, I bought it because I was looking for a decent, serviceable and affordable lever action .30-30. Money is tight, ya' know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts