Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for one of these for some time. I had three requirements. It had to be a 336 in a 30-30, walnut stock, and the crossbolt hammer block safety. I considered the options of the whole accidental getaway and weighed that against an accidental fire and I'd rather accidentally not fire as it's easier to take back.

I searched around for a wile and many private party used guns were knocked around too much and asking prices were too high, IMO. I found mostly pre-safety guns including a real nice '74 model for a reasonable offer considering it's condition. (But it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.) Does everybody drill out the bulls-eye on these? I finally, even after reading about the "remlins", decided to look for a new one and ended up having one shipped from an online retailer based in KY to a local FFL. I came in at least 60 dollars less than what a local wal-mart would order one for and they said it'd take at least 10 days. This one came in about 4.

I haven't shot it yet but it cycles better than I expected out of the box. At least as well as the two 70's models I handled. I think with a little polishing work and break in, it will be real slick. The lever, while not smooth edged, is not as sharp as what I have heard described. The screws all looked decent and not torn up as bad as some I have seen. The stock fitment is great. On the lower curve of the grip it looks like it fails to cover, but it appears to be as designed because if you pay attention, the receiver seam is directly in line with the curve of the stock. There appears to be present some burs throughout some of the action parts but it doesn't look as bad as metal shavings. I'll be looking closer when I clean it after I get a suitable screw driver. The gun is very oily. Especially the bolt.

Anyway, here are the pictures shot with a Nikon 3100 in macro and flash. You can see every detail of any possible minor flaw. There are few if any and I wouldn't expect it any better. you can see a couple light scratches on one side of the receiver and this may be from my handling. They are not visible whatsoever in person. The only complaint I have so far is that the hammer spur seems not very secure but it could just be I didn't get it lined up and secured properly.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
First off, welcome to Marlin Owners. Glad you have joined and those are nice photos you have provided. Look like you have a well put together Marlin. Congratulations and hope that it gives you years of great service.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great photos-super looking rifle! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on getting what you were looking for. Get out to the range and let us know how she does. Welcome to MO!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Congrats on a new rifle! I really like the grain pattern on your butt stock. I know what you mean about the bulls eye. I need to replace a missing one myself.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Looks real good.Let us know how it shoots and thanks for the great pics. Let us know if your shell holder contains your ammo through use and recoil in their present position.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Seeing your rifle is encouraging. If it performs as well as it looks, you should be pleased. I hope we see more of these positive stories going forward.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great photos! IF there was a fit-and-finish problem with that rifle, I sure can;t see it. The walnut they used is gorgeous too. Is that a deluxe model? Very nice!

Also, if Marlin is still using the "Marshield" finish, it sure looks a heck of a lot better than my 1999 rifle. The finish is nice, flat, and clear, unlike the almost "muddy" appearance of mine and other Marshields I've seen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I think the reason people put the sling stud in the bullseye, like I did, is because it's about the same distance from the butt plate as the sling studs installed at the factory on bolt actions.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
That is probably the nicest fit Remlin I have seen posted to date and Walnut grain far better quality than any that have been shown. I wish we had a way of knowing when this was manufactured so we could tell if this is new production AFTER the CHANGES they supposedly are making or if you just got one of the best ones they have made.

GB45

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. The serial number begins with MR and is on the side of the receiver and not the tang. Anyone know how to get the year from the new ones?

The only "defect" that I have seen yet is that the manual they sent was for the 1894 and they sent two copies. I need to see if they will mail me a 336 I guess.

This is a regular "C" model and not a deluxe. I may have just gotten lucky with the stock figure but I was impressed also. I did request from the seller that they do a quick check and make sure nothing was horrible since I was buying this unseen. They said they would but I couldn't tell that the box had been opened. Either way the place was great to work with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The holder is pretty decent fit and finish but not sure how tough it will be. The rounds are secured pretty well. I ended up stitching the velcro pad up to pull some of the slack out and it fits better now. Also I used a solder iron to melt a hole for the stud. It was like 5 bucks so we will see. It should at the least protect the stock from rubbs and the sling metal.

Looks real good.Let us know how it shoots and thanks for the great pics. Let us know if your shell holder contains your ammo through use and recoil in their present position.

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
Congrats! Nice to hear something positive About Marlin rifles for A change. Beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I think the reason people put the sling stud in the bullseye, like I did, is because it's about the same distance from the butt plate as the sling studs installed at the factory on bolt actions.
I think the reason people put the sling stud behind the bullseye, is because that's where Marlin puts it. If Marlin ever drilled out the trademark to install a stud, I've never seen it.
Note position of stud on bolt gun.http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7.asp

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think the reason people put the sling stud behind the bullseye, is because that's where Marlin puts it. If Marlin ever drilled out the trademark to install a stud, I've never seen it.
Note position of stud on bolt gun.
Classic location for swivels/studs: 2" from toe of stock, 14" from trigger (bolt action rifles)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts