Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some of you folks that know something about 336's to identify this Marlin and its year model. I was at a garage sale out in the country by my shooting area the other day, and came across this 336 laying on a table with a few other old rifles. I was looking at it and an old man came up and asked me if I "wanted to buy her". I asked how much, and he said "50 bucks". I asked him if it worked and he said "nope". I asked him if he knew why, and he said "nope". I looked the gun over...cycled the action, and it looked ok to me! I asked him again, are you SURE it dont work, and he said "yup". I told him I would think about and get back with him...so I browsed a while, picked up a few odds and ends, and went back to the table where the 336 was laying, still unclaimed. He came back over and said that they were going to "close up shop" and this would be my last chance if I wanted the 336. Again I asked him is he was absolutely positive that the rifle woudnt work, and he said....well you guessed it. Anyway, I picked this old thing up...looked at it, and said..." look, I am going to have to put some big money into this thing to get it to work...."iF" I can get it to work! I put the gun down, reached into my pocket and pulled the 27 dollars I had left and put a 20 and a 5 on the table next to the gun, and said "there ya go...thats all "she" is worth to me!" He looked in my hand and saw the other two dollar bills I was holding, and said..."well, what about that?" I gave him a serious look and said "gas money....I gotta get her home, dont I?" He just looked at me and laughed...grabbed the 25 bucks and "said she is yours, and good luck with her!"..................Anyway, I got the gun home, and it works like a champ...cant find a darn thing wrong with it (other than exterior wear), and the barrel looks to be excellent! Now, I know nothing about old Marlins, and I really dont know what Ive got here, and I would like one of you more knowledgable folks to fill me in on what this is and what year it was born....and, is it worth anything? Serial number begins with V2 with four remaining digits. It is "Microgroove" and is a 35 Remington, is factory drilled for a scope mount, and has two small plugged threaded holes on the left side of the reciever (which I take are for a peep sight), also, there is no safety.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Yeah, APRIL FOOL to you too! ;D ;D :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Flat Top said:
Ok, back to reality...........I thought that the "Texans" had a square shaped lever?

In 1971 the rounded lever was dropped and the square lever was added.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Yes a Texan............Late '61 to '62 for the V prefix...

If you really got that for $25.........that's just wrong! ;D

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again six_gunz:

OK! 61-62, 336RC, 35 Remington, Texan.

Now, is this worth anything as a collectable? Should I leave it as is (worn), should I restore it, or if not, can I butcher it?

As it sits, what would it be worth?........worth restored?..........worth butchered?

Folks, I really DO NOT know anything about the old Marlins, and rather than mess up a rifle that could potentially be worth good money, or, be worth something to another shooter, I would prefer to do the "right" thing here. Any guidance you could offer would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Texans aren't the most common but seeing as how you aren't too much money into this rifle... I would get it re-blued but that is just me. Texans are kind of collectible, but guys chop them up all the to make those sexy lookin' little 16" and 18" shorties. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You aint gonna hurt its value none by choppin' it up a little. I'd say that its somewhat collectible, but not worth enough to leave it in mint condition. Get out your saw and torch.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to it but shoot it. The .35Rem Texans are more rare than the .30-30 chambered Texans so it does have a little more value IMO. I've seen them go for $500 plus in excellent condition on the auction sites.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
This APRIL FOOL'S joke has gone on long enough. It's now April 2nd!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok Hal, I will fess up...but only because you are my hunting hero! ;D

I did get the gun as part of a trade deal, and it is what it is....or, what the fine folks on this forum have told me it is. I am very satisfied with this info, because I really DO NOT know anything about old Marlins...other than how to work on them.

It is a nice rifle mechanically, and the bore, etc, are excellent. There is a bit of surface rust in the chamber but that can be cleaned up, and otherwise the rifle is in good condition, but, you can see it has been used...but, really it has not been "abused".

I would eventually like to have it reblued, and restocked, and make a real nice piece out of it. For now, I would just like to shoot it as is. I have my 336 XLR in 35 Rem for jacketed bullets, so, I would like to make this my "lead only" 35. I work mostly with newer modern manufacture, so it will be fun to work on and with an older Marlin.

As far as what I got this for in the trade deal....I would estimate judging from the cost parameters of everything involved, plus some cash, to be in the neighborhood of 125 to maybe 150 dollars or so. Anyway, that gives me some room to spiff it up if I choose to do so.

Hey! How about a case hardened receiver, with a browned barrel and lever, offset by brass or nickle plated accruements.....that would be pretty shnazzy!!!...or maybe a brass plated receiver....then it would look like a Henry....NOT!!!! ;D

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dave; You will be number one on my contact list if I ever decide to sell....it sure is nice to have a "pre-sale" all lined up.....and, because I got it on the cheap....you will get it on the cheap....What a "deal"!!!!! PM me with your contact info so I can put it in my log book.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Abel; I have seen some rifles that have some very "rich" color case hardening, and others that look kind of bland and add nothing to the look of the rifle. The last "nice" one I saw was a Turnbull, and it looked like you could jump right in to the finish...it looked that deep.....a work of art!

We shall see....I just might remove all the bluing and let it sit outside for a few weeks and water it everyday, then oil her down and let her age naturally. I call that a rust finish...some folks call it "patina"! ;D

I have seen some new guns that have been "antiqued"...interesting....they really look like they have been there and done that, but, I am sure it does not add to the resale value of the gun..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.