Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 336 in 44 Mag from a shop here in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago. According to the serial number (Z35xx) it's from 1964, but it looks nearly new. Certainly never was shot much. Paid $350, it was a consignment item (so they say) and they wouldn't come down. They had a 1894 for a hundred bucks less, but I knew the 336's were much less common in 44 Mag so I went for it. Besides, it'll be a nice match to my 1895.

Took it shooting the other day, had no trouble popping the centers out of clay targets all afternoon at 75 yds with mild handloads (240 jacketed over 9 gr. Unique). Felt like I was shootin' a .22!

-Dan

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
350 is a little less than I've seen these offered for sale in this part of the country, so you did okay. They also ain't makin' any more of 'em, and the price will never go down. I would have bought it, too. (At risk of a domestic disturbance! :shock: ) :D SW

G

·
Looks very nice and it's got a staight stock like my '94 in 44mag. My 336 is in 30/30 and has the pistol-grip. Do you know what the rifling twist is and if it has ballard rifling or not? My 44mag has a 20" barrel with the ballard 1-38" twist. BM

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's got a 20" barrel, 1-in-38" twist, with MicroGroove rifling. Shoots 240gr jacketed and cast bullets equally well. Haven't tried heavier bullets, but I've heard that the rifling twist is too slow to stabilize the 300 grainers. Not a big deal even if that turns out to be the case -- If I ever decided to hunt with it, I doubt I'd be unhappy with the Speer 270gr Gold Dot JSP -- it's a very tough bullet, based on testing I've done out of my revolvers into wet phone books.

I love straight-stocked Marlins, pre-safety and pre-checkering. Here's a photo of the 336 (.44Mag) next to my 1972-made 1895 in 45-70.

G

·
I think you did alright :) I had a chance at one last summer for $50 less but in less shape and swivel studs added :?

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey Dan -

In 1963, Marlin introduced a 336 in 44 Magnum, nad the model designation was marked on the bbl like this... "336-44 Magnum". The next year, it was just another caliber offering under the "Texan" designation. Supposedly, they only made the 336-44 Magnum model for one year. I have one that is also a Z prefix......If yours is marked "336-Texan", then it is a VERY early Texan in 44 mag. Either way, your going to love it - Mine shoots like a laser.........And it's really not picky with ammo - shoots everything well. I have not, however, tried any of the heavier bullets.

I just went and checked my serial no - it's Z47XXX, so I'm quite sure you have a 336-44 Magnum. At 350, you did well.

Ya know, now that I think about it, these guns sucked. Won't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. Fall apart after 100 rounds or so. Want your money back??????

Shum8

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may find the 1-38 twist will allow for a couple of 300 grainers. I have an NEF in 44 Mag that has the 1-38 twist. It stabilizes the Hornady 300 XTP just fine. Seated to its shortest COL driven with 20.5 grains of H110 it delivers a very consistant 1525 fps (NEF has a 22" tube) Seated to its longest COL (the XTP has cannalures allowing for two different seating depths) and driven with 22.5 grains of H110, it delivers a very steady 1555 fps. I have also found the 300 grain cast bullet from Magnus Bullet Co. to be an accurate bullet. driven with 23 grains of 1680 it delivers 1435 fps and good accuracy as well. I like the Speer 270 Gold Dot over 21 grains of H110, good for 1575, I took 2 deer with it last year. It performed very well, but showed no sign of expansion, a caliber size hole through and through that killed very quickly. I'm hunting with the faster Hornady XTP 300 loading this year, want to see how it works out. In my experience, any of the heavier loads shoot more kindly on the shoulder that any 240 grain loading traveling 1700 fps+ that I have shot. My NEF has that microgroove rifling as well and I have had loads of trouble getting cast to shoot but the bullet from Magnus does just fine with no special loading attention given it. The Lee 310 bullet will not stabilize in this twist, don't waste your time. Other shooters I have spoken with say the Sierra 300 won't stabilize either. I've not had the opportunity to try the Speer 300 as yet. From a rifle giving 1550 fps or so, the 300 grainer is a practical ballistic twin of the old blackpowder 45-70 320 grain loading and will best many .45 muzzleloader loadings. Not bad for a case that is just 1.29" in length operating at less than 40,000 psi. Don't give up on the 300 grainers untill you try a few, you may find one or two that will work for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shum8 --

Thanks for the production info. Mine is indeed stamped "336-44 Magnum". Glad to hear that it was only made that way for one year, and that I did OK on the price. In looking at photos of other 336-44's on the Internet, it seems most have a brass saddle ring on the left side of the receiver. Mine doesn't. Is it safe to assume the Texans have the ring, the pre-Texans don't?

JPH45 --

I did get a chance to try some 300gr handloads yesterday, using the LBT WFNGC from Cast Performance. Powder charge was 19.5gr H-110. Check out the photo below. Seems that accuracy with this bullet is fine in my rifle. Thanks for the recommendations for/against other bullets, I'll definitely try some of those you recommend -- part of the reason for getting this rifle was to be able to "tinker" with lots of different loads without turning my shoulder to hamburger, like I do with my heavy 45-70 laods.....

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
According to my references, the saddle ring was added in 1965, and since yours was made prior to that date it didn't have one. However, they were available from Marlin to be added by gunsmiths, so you may see a few of the older Texans with a ring (the Texan line was started in 1957).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts