How can I align the front sight?

• No way to fix it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 336 in 30-30, bought a Skinner Tactical ghost ring for the rear sight, a Truglo front sight and an XS Scout Rail to mount my scope. I stripped off the factory sights realizing that the stock sight hood was slightly bent causing the front sight to appear straight when in fact the sight is heavily leaning to the left while the rear factory sight is level. Is there some way to level off the front sight? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Post some pics, but you may want to go to the Skinner sight forum and pose this to Parson.

If it's a new gun, I would send it back to Marlin.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Halwg said:
Post some pics, but you may want to go to the Skinner sight forum and pose this to Parson.

If it's a new gun, I would send it back to Marlin.

+1

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Use a nylon mallet or something similar, hold something on the back side of the sight and gently tap the side of the sight that needs it. Pliers work but you know about scratching. Those other fellers also gave you good advice but I am one to be quick to use a hammer. I rode Harleys (a real motorcycle ;)) for waaaay too long as duct tape and bailing wire are another couple of items in my arsenal. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'm going to say your ramp is cocked if the rear sight is TDC. I have a gun that the front sight was canted but the rear straight. After much head scratching I took off the ramp & looked down the barrel. The sight holes looked centered and lined up with the scope holes. Then I looked at the ramp from the front & the rounded underside was not centered in the ramp if that makes sense. The effect was when placed on the top over the holes it leaned to one side. I dropped another ramp on the gun & its perfect now.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Leverdude said:
I'm going to say your ramp is cocked if the rear sight is TDC. I have a gun that the front sight was canted but the rear straight. After much head scratching I took off the ramp & looked down the barrel. The sight holes looked centered and lined up with the scope holes. Then I looked at the ramp from the front & the rounded underside was not centered in the ramp if that makes sense. The effect was when placed on the top over the holes it leaned to one side. I dropped another ramp on the gun & its perfect now.
Sounds like that could be a simple fix, and a good thing to check first.

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
m11higgins11 said:
Just purchased a new 336 in 30-30, bought a Skinner Tactical ghost ring for the rear sight, a Truglo front sight and an XS Scout Rail to mount my scope. I stripped off the factory sights realizing that the stock sight hood was slightly bent causing the front sight to appear straight when in fact the sight is heavily leaning to the left while the rear factory sight is level. Is there some way to level off the front sight? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
When the barrel is assembled to the receiver, clock position is checked via the dovetail for the rear sight......That being said, it would appear the tapped holes for the front sight are out of position with regard to the dove tail. Or as Ken said the ramp itself could be at fault.......I've seen that also.

Two things can be done to correct this.............On a new rifle, send it mack to Marlin/Remington and request they correct the condition by changing the barrel and re-breeching the rifle..............That will give a 100% correct rifle.

On an older rifle, a gunsmith can remove the front ramp (provided it is not the problem) and re-locate new tapped hole in the correct clock position. When the ramp is re-installed the original holes will be hidden under the ramp.........

If your front hood was severely bent to hide the problem, I suspect some new Remington employee tried the conceal the error by bendsing the hood............They don't bend easily, so that was intentional.

You say its a new gun?.............call and get a shipping label and mail it back on their dime. If you send it back, ask to have the corrected rifle checked after repair, by the head of their gun repair before its return to you.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts