Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to me, 30AS *Pics added*

Well nothing to scream about but her bluing is superb with just a few safe kisses. I want to give the micro groove a try and see how she likes some 150 gr RN and 170gr FN. Hopefully I'll have a scope on her by the weekend. It came with a homemade peep sight and a Tru Glo front sight. For now the standard rear sight will be used. Serial starts with 09 so from what I gather it was made in 1991 and with the dreaded cross bolt safety.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
Hey Sarge, nice 30AS and they are one of my favorites. Really like the single barrel band with forearm end cap configuration and I do believe it helps with accuracy.

My 30AS was built in 1999, sports a Bushnell Dusk & Dawn 1.5-4.5X32 on Weaver mount rail and 1 inch low rings and it's a surprisingly great scope and I like the compact profile.

Looking forward to seeing yours all done with a range report. Oh, mine likes Federal Blue Box the best.

Jack

DSC00086_E130%_3.jpg DSC00088_E130%_3.jpg DSC00094_E130%_3.jpg

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good lookin rifle ya got there! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Thanks for the pic. :tee:

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Looks good and many prefer the end cap/ barrel band set-up over the two bands the RC has. Nothin' wrong with having a cross bolt safety, if you don't like it can be removed, or dis-abled a couple of ways. I have Marlins with safeties and without, not an issue for me. Congrats on your buy! DP

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Sweet! Congrats...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dunno if I'd scream, but for sure would shout. That's a good looking, clean, no-nonsense rifle. Congrats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All!!

Its funny, I never even made notice of the "end cap" until you guys mentioned it. For accuracy? Well I will just have to find out.
I'm picking up a scope base this Friday and will be mounting a Leupold VXI 3-9x40. I made up some 150gr RN Speer with 38grs of LeverEvolution. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So finally after a week I picked up a Weaver 1 piece base and installed a a set of Weaver Tip-Off rings and my Leupold VXI 3-9x40 scope.
All screws were properly torqued and Loctited where needed. The length of pull shortened up a bit but was cured my simply installing the rubber recoil pad that came on my Guide Gun and now she shoulders and have full view thru the ocular lens. In addition I took a pic of the cartridges I loaded up. The left is a 170gr Hornady flat nose (my favorite) and the right is a 150gr Speer round nose. I've always shot 170gr bullets so these 150's will be something new for me. These Speers lack the cannulure or crimp groove but they should still hold COL while in the mag tube. Both loads are with Hornady LeverEvolution.
Range time could'nt get here soon enough. I'll post pics when I got a shoot this puppy (rifle lol).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts