Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks again for the privilege of posting. I have got some good info from archived forums. I want to purchace a new 30-30 to give my 30 year old 32 special a rest. I am thinking of the spike horn model. The last Marlin i bought was my 444 in 1979. Went looking the other day to verify the issues i have read about here. They have added things CBS and plastic parts. What do i need to be aware of?? Spike horn a good model?? Thanks for the replies.

Side note" bought my 444 at the Navy exchange country store over the counter for 185 $ brand new, things have sure changed. Thanks again

·
Registered
195 Posts
RETAMS1 said:
Side note" bought my 444 at the Navy exchange country store over the counter for 185 $ brand new, things have sure changed. Thanks again
For kicks I plugged the information you provided into an inflation calculator. A $185 item purchased in 1979 should cost about $524 in 2005 dollars. Seeing as how the local sporting good store has the 444 Marlin for $420 new that means its price has not kept up with inflation. Not too shocking. From my experience the only consumer products that kept up with or beat inflation in recent history are usually expensive luxury items.

As for the Spike Horn I believe it’s a 336 with a shorter barrel and stock. Unless you are smaller-statured you might find the rifle a bit too small. I handled one at the sporting good store and personally found it to be too small.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts