Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 8 months ago I bought a Ruger American 270 Win. It turned out to be one of the biggest piece of (you fill in the blank) rifles I have ever owned. It shot flyers consistantly no matter what I did. This included sending it back to Ruger. I finally gave up on it and stuck it in the safe. A few weeks ago I opened the safe and saw it and decided that's it! I'm getting a Marlin XL7 in the same caliber.Well, I just picked it up today and I can definately say the quality of the Marlin is superior to the Ruger in just about every way. It feels much more solid. The trigger is way better! I like the quality of the stock on the Marlin a lot more than the Ruger. It definately points and feels much better in my hands. I took the scope (Brown 97D 4-12×40mm) and rings (medium Burris Signature Zee) off of the Ruger and Mounted them on the Marlin. I had read in another post on this forum about a loose scope base from the factory. I checked mine and sure enough it wasn'much more than finger tight. If you get one of these be sure and check this before you mount the scope. I took the action out of the stock and adjusted the trigger down to where I wanted it. It is awesome now! I'm going to clean it tomorrow and start loading up some test rounds for this weekend. I'm expecting good things for this rifle. I will post a range report.

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. My son bought one a few years ago I liked it so much I purchased one too.
As far as accuracy goes mine shoots clover leafs at 100 yards.

I believe the secret to good accuracy is I cleaned and oiled the barrel after every 3rd shot.
My son cleaned his after 6 or so shots and his does not shoot as tight as mine. His shoots about 7/8 groups
off sand bags.

I did have an issue with the rifle, the scope mount holes were not drilled correctly.
They shoot 3 1/2 feet to the left. I put another scope on and it too shot 3 1/2 feet to the left.
I ended up putting a Leopold windage scope mount on it and it solved the problem.

I would of sent it in to be fixed, I assume they would of at least replaced the magazine
but I would of had to re-registered it. and that would of been another $75.00 and a 10 day wait.
once the rifle was returned.
On most things California lacks common sense.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Ralph! Glad your XL7 is shooting well for you. Who could complain about clover leafs at 100 yards? Is yours a 270 also? All of my 270 ammo I have now was neck sized and fired in my crappy Ruger American, so it might not be an indication of how accurate this rifle will be.
I'm not in a hurry, so I will make it a point to clean this rifle frequently when breaking it in. I have some 130gr, 140gr, and 150gr to try out. We'll just see what's up with that!

Robert

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have the 06.. one of the first ones and out of the box kicked butt on Rugers and Remingtons cosing much more . we won't get into the over a K gang of rifles it will out shoot..

·
Registered
981 Posts
the hawkeye is a much better gun than the American.

as far as the Marlin 270, my friends shoots 130gr Nosler BT into nice clusters, so try the Nosler custom ammo if sticking with factory stuff. If you handload, put 58-60grs of h4831 under the 130BT and you should see MOA or better with 3000+fps.

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
My XL7 does a fine job with the 165 gr pills serial #7039xx, I didn't jump on the wagon right away, this one caught me while I was getting some ammo for the 30-30, turned out the thing was on sale, paid less than $250.00 for it, currently sits in a Boyds walnut stock. Mr fixit

·
Registered
981 Posts
???????????????????????????

the OP is talking about a 270winchester, not a 30caliber.:hmmmm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts