Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep fellers 223 ''''' It has Been cold Up Here in Utah so I had a little extra time on My Hands . So I installed a 223 barrel on this feller . When It Gets warmer I will give her a go and Post The Targets DD

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
cool!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Man, this is a good thread! I've been waiting for this one, lol!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It Took some Thinking and a lot of compairing parts . It is Not a throw togather deal I started with a Savage 223 small pin bolt head . Had to tig the marlin holes up in the bolt body build a spacer and a few jigs . The magizine is also a savage stagger feed witch I had to wield a tab to retain it .One of the biggest deals was getting the fireing Pin Produsion set But Now I have some blue prints .
The gun Is Bedded and scoped Ready to Shoot ... If The weather warms up above 30 I will go to the range.
I have test Fired It Looks great DD Thanks For the Kind words fellers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Dan, thanks for the Bolt Head manufacturing description. I had looked at the Marlin head in comparison to the Savage
and come to the conclusion it could be tricky to convert.

·
Registered
199 Posts
seb21051 said:
Hi Dan, thanks for the Bolt Head manufacturing description. I had looked at the Marlin head in comparison to the Savage
and come to the conclusion it could be tricky to convert.
Tell as is interestingly.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
more kind words to ya dan, you are the master of backyard gunworkz

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Learned a lot From Outhers like You all . I am just a old Cowboy who worked hard all my life and now I enjoy fooling around with Guns all guns and Models love them all . Thanks DD

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a Chance to sneek out to the range here are some 3 shot 100 yard Groups with 40 gr V Max It was very cold 27 and my fingers were very cold DD

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
I'd call those pretty good groups for a 16.5" barrel and by someone who was half-frozen. For some reason, it's warmer now in Utah than it is in East Texas.

Dan, have you ever thought of modifying an X7 to use a blade-type ejector instead of the little button one (I don't know what it's called)? I've thought about it and I think it wouldn't be hard. It would require some work on the bolt head and an ejector would have to be cut out of sheet steel, but I think it could be done. I'm just saying this in case you get some free time (i.e., if you get snowed in ;) ).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Dan, that does raise a good question, when you made the .223 Bolt head, how did
you make the slot for the extractor? small file after milling the basic slot?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No File Just a Mill , I used The Marlin Extractor in the Savage bolt head DD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts