Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Browning 22 Mag for 150.00 from a guy at work. It looks just like my old 270 A Bolt Medalion. Metal is nice but a few deeper scratches in the stock. Do you all know anything about this gun, value, accuracy, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
My Marlin 22mag shoots great.. I use it for dispatching critters around the place.. mostly groundhogs.. so the extra of the mag comes in handy..

Try it you may just like it.. :lol:

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Junkie,why did Marlin stop making 22 mag 39's?????I want one as I am not getting the Ground squirrel long shot kills with the Stingers I would like.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
IntrepidW: Marlin never made trhe M-39 in 22 Magnum. It was the M1894 they made in the mag. Despite the reverence the 1894 22WMR is held in today, it was never very popular when it was in production.

If you can find some Aguila "Super Maximum" 22LR and it shootsd well in your rifle, you may have an alternative to the Stinger. I shot a SAKO bolt gun with some new-generation S-Max this past week: 4, 1-hole groups at 25M. My Brno likes it to the extent it shoots .4 inches at 30M. You'd have to try it but having a 30 grain bullet at 1750 ft/sec whups up 195+ ft/lbs muzzle energy.

If that the S-Max isn't an option, try "Velocitor" by CCI. It's a 40 grain bullet at 1430 ft/sec. Very effective on game out to 100 yards. Good luck! ~Andrew

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Thanks Andy,but I have a 10/22 first model and I don't know if I can take those rounds.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've shot them in my ancient 10/22 deluxe with no problems. Oddly, even the "old style" Super Maximum shot OK from that rifle. The best accuracy is definitely from a Ruger 96/22 that has (by chance, at this moment) a 1-18" twist 22LR barrel on it. I get 8 of 10 staying in a dime at 50 yards with all ten being cut by a circle traced around a nickle.

The Velocitors shoot really well from the same barrel, as well as my 1-9" twist barrel. Love the WHUMP of a gutsy 22LR round! ~Andrew

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Wiz, I wish they would have a run of 39s in Mag.. I would horse trade to have one.. hell I just wish I had a 39 lr.. LOL...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gurn

You have a hell of a deal........send the guy a present. A hard to find specimen at best...new$493.....range of prices are 375 at 100% all the way down to $150 at 60%......add $20 for open sites. I assume your rifle is in good condition aside from what you said....gotta consider it a collectors piece if greater than 90%.........decisions..decisions. Thats the trouble with finding a rare gun....your afraid to take it afield....Have the same quandry with my older model BRNO661.......just don't make em like that anymore...just take it out with alot of TLC and have alot of fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts