Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the stainless xlr. Which sights should I get. I was thinking about the Skinner Alaskan but wasn't sure on the color. Worried a little about the stainless matching. What do you guys think. Should I go with that sight and if so which of the four colors?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I would think the Skinner Alaskan would look grat on that XLR. I haven't used Skinner before, but have never heard any bad reviews. I do have the XS lever rail system on my guide gun and have no complaints. I got the optional threaded aperture for mine and use a .096 aperture in it. Either would be fine choice I suspect.
JB

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have a Williams receiver peep that has been on and off of several Marlins. I take the aperture out for dim light and then screw it back into place for full light. Also, no need to replace the front sight.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know if you can use the williams apertures in the skinner sights. I like the twilight sights from williams.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I don't think you can.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I like the XS myself. I love the Williams I have one my 336, it's the fire sight. I also like the Williams 5D on my 1894.As far as I know a peep sight is a good sight. Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Revolver

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a XS Ghost ring sight on a GG that I once had and now I have a Skinner's Alaskan on a Marlin 336 at present,that I just bought.I can not say anything bad about either.I like the Skinner on the 336,30-30.It just makes it look more streamlined and it moves the rear sight back closer to your eye where you need it.I went with the all blued sight even though the black/gold looked great.I didn't want the shine in the woods.Wings on the sights would be nice if you are going to use your rifle for breaking point in the brush but I don't abuse my rifles that way but then,I have never hunted in really thick brush like hog hunters do or hunting grizz and other dangerous game.For those situations,winged sights would be on my gun.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Yes the williams fit, have a twilight on a Skinner. View attachment 103708
Order the one with the short shank if you can.
That moves the Skinners to the top of the list for set n forget peeps. I distinctly remember asking Doc Skinner years ago. Maybe Andy changed the threads since then?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.