Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am new to the forums and hello to all! Seems to be quite the community here full of help! That being said just purchased a new 1895SBL today quite excited! I feel like a kid at Christmas. I know that the remlins have suffered from some quality issues and wanted to look closer at the quality of my rifle. (10 day return policy as long as not shot) after spending quite a bit of money I wanted to make sure I gave it a close look. So this is where I need some advice. Other than the obvious (no scratches, cycles fairly easy, no stripped screws, stock and fore-end are tight without wiggle, and the sites appear to be strait.) what do I do next?

As always I appreciate any help I want to feel comfortable knowing I looked at everything I could have before my 10 day window closes! :biggrin:

My other marlin is a 12 Ga. Pat'D nov. 6th 1896? (Will dive into this on other forum post later)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If it all looks good, then function is next. Give a new rifle a good cleaning first. Then, take it out a do some shooting. Any abnormalities will some become apparent. Can't give too much advice on the unknown. If problems arise you will know what you need to specifically address. There are many how-to's in the Gun-Smithing section below. Also, when you become more familiar with your rifle, tuning and smoothing the action are also covered.

If you post particular problems, the are many members here that will help. Most have been there, done that.

Oh, I almost forget.....Welcome to MO.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Welcome from Alaska! We do like pictures here so... post them when you can.:biggrin:

You didn't mention cycling ammo through it yet. I'd buy several different brands and check them out. Especially Hornady's LE 325 gr with the flex tip.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome to the MO forums!

Not sure if this problem is still floating around, but you might want to check for the infamous cracked receiver: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/4...-marlinitis-sad-day-team-members-45-70-a.html
View attachment 121730 View attachment 121731

So here is my new purchase pictures per request! Thanks to all who responded to post!
I recently purchased a Remington built GBL. I pulled the forearm off and checked for cracking between the barrel and magazine tube. Mine was good. Your wood fit looks good around the tang. You're bolt looks different than mine. Mine doesn't have all those axial grooves on it. What's the story on that?

By the way welcome to the forum, lots of good information to be had.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ohio guy

Welcome to the forum. CONGRATULATIONS! :congrats:

Wow that's a pretty gun. I really like the full length magazine. I'd cycle some rounds through it to make sure it feeds, chambers, extracts, & ejects properly. With the safety you can do that safely now by putting it on safe.
If you don't reload I'm a huge fan of WW & Rem. 405gr JSP factory ammo. Buffalo Bore & others make dangerous game smashers if you need them.
Let us know how it shoots when you get it to the range. I think you are going to like the 95.
I really like Peep (receiver sights) those on your gun look like they are adjustable & rugged. Are you going to use them or scope it? There is a lot of fun shooting in that guy enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ohio Guy, gun looks good. Go run some rounds through it. Hugo Boss has some good input. I have several 45-70's Marlins and Winchesters. Mine likes 405gr lead cast and Hornady LE's. The 45-70 is a very simple caliber to work with. One of the most capable out there. It's fun to shoot and will put meat on your table. Much like the 30-30, it works, period and that's it. There may be some issues with the Rimlins. I tend to think most of them are with the shooters. I have a Winchester 32WCF that my great granddad bought in 1892, brand new. After all these years, the stock wobbles, the forearm is loose, it has a an eye screw in the stock my Dad put in it for a sling, and it still shoots better than I can shoot it. Also put a lot of deer, rabbits, etc in the pot. One of the things I like about the 45-70 is you can reload it w/little effort. Check out Lee, follow the reloading charts, buy/cast some good bullets and go shoot it. You'll like it.

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts