Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my new 1895 to the range today that I posted a pic of last week,I was shooting 400gr. Paper Patch from my old mold along with H4198 and Fed 215 Mags.First load went through the crony at 2015,2018,2017,jumped 1/2 grain and 2036,2034,2032,jumped 1/2 a grain and 2046,2044,2045......................Now these are paper patched,not a bolt gun but a Lever Action go getter! Acc. well I made the mistake of not taking my own targets as all the range had are 1 1/2 " red bulls eye's,not for Receiver sights and 67 year old eye's at 100 yds.:)!!!It shot around 2 1/2 "s for most loads.Recoil............Well let me tell you for a 6 3/4 pound go getter was very stout.There was no leading I could find and I had 6 more to shoot that took it up to max which was 1 gr. away,I did not take my camera ,I forgot it! Really didn't matter as all shots were of paper but on a 3x4 foot cardboard,these were the first shots fired from this rife so am very pleased,overall cartridge length was 2.612"s Pete

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Sounds like a great range session. The first trip out is always a little apprehensive. At least for me it is. I like to try mine at 50 yards to start off, especially with iron sights. I think my first outings with my 1895SS was with some reloads my brother made up w/ 4198 and 350 Hornady interlock JFN. I can't remember the exact loads but she shot a nice 1.5" group at around 80 yards. I was as happy as could be after my first test drive.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Wow Pete that's great.
What diameter did your paper patched bullets come out, how many wraps did you put on them, are your bullets smooth or have lube grooves?
Thanks

Reactions: hard head

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Pete,

Those are some fine "clock" numbers!

Your 400 gr cast bullet, at those velocities........Wow!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Pete, another question if you don't mind?
When you seat your paper patched bullets do you seat the paper patch to the mouth of the case, do you crimp & does the crimp interfer with the paper patch? I'm wondering about cycling the ammo through the action not tearing the paper patch?
You might surmise ( correctly) I don't have a lot of experience with paper patches.
Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bell the mouth,seat so they just engage the rifling,the mold I have is real neat as it has a small grove just ahead of the ojive which I patch to tha length,when dry the patch shrinks into it and males it Lever gun friendly,like I said the mold is from Accurate Molds #390 and was desighned for the 1895,feeds like butter.Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently bought that same mould from accurate (45-390P) and shot it for the first time two weeks ago along with the 45-405V. did not run them over a crony but was satisfied with the initial results. ~4" @ 100 yds w/open sights. I'm hoping with some load development and the addition of a scout scope to get that down to 2" @ 100.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes but wait till that New Scheel's opens up....it's Huge seen it last year when we went back to see my son and his wife,even will have a water park inside,watch Wardens all the time see so much of the country I use to hunt,Pete

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike if you use #2 alloy use a bullet that casts 1-2/000 over,try not to size them,then run them with the throttle opened up to make sure they obturate the bore,when doing this use a tuff paper and just enough lube on the paper it keep from tearing the patch,when done seating wipe exposed patch dry,the only reason you lube is for the seating .Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.