Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I received my new 1895 GBL Wednesday. I spent most of Thursday disassembling, polishing, and reassembling. Friday the action is "like butta". I'm ready to reload today when I realize I don't have a shell holder for my priming tool. I started at my LGS, then Academy, then Gander Mountain, and then I drove across town and finally found the shell holder. I got home and fixed some ice tea when I heard the big brown truck outside. Hurrah my snap caps got here two days early. I loaded four snap caps and I'm getting a FTE. I pulled the lever and bolt and removed the snap caps. I checked and rechecked the ejector. Still no ejection! I noticed I'd left a turn or two off the carrier bolt and tightened that up, still no ejection. The snap caps are being extracted just not being ejected. I don't think my bolt is opening fully as the "bullet" end of the snap cap seems to not be clearing the end of the chamber.

I've taken some pictures but I'm sure they are too large to post. I'm a forum newbie and no computer whiz by any means so here's a link to the pictures in Dropbox. I looked at the section on Marlin jams but this is my first and I'm not sure that's where I need to be. Any help from your Master Marlin Minds would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this ironed out before I start feeding her any loaded rounds.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q7ofebpmp5xsxz/AAAcVWFcDxq4KH9SHtO1C4caa

TIA, Will

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Going out on a limb here but from your pictures your bolt isn't opening all the way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm glad we're all in agreement, but does anyone have an idea why the bolt would not be opening all the way?
I've assembled and reassembled and there is definitely an ejector in place.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the bolt should come out with a round in the extractor, but I have to lift the extractor to remove the bolt???

I take that back if the bolt moved that far back the ejector would strip the round from the grip oif the extractor. Which takes me back to why the bolt doesn't retract far enough?

Has anyone had issues with these A-Zoom/Pachmayr snap caps? Maybe I need to measure OAL of the snap caps since the bolt opens fully without snap caps???

That shouldn't be an issue, the snap caps measure 2.49" oal.

I'm thinking it's time to try another ejector. Other than a light polish of the ejector groove and the ejector nub this is a NIB rifle.

I think I'll do a search on ejector issues while I wait for more opinions.

Thanks again, Will

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you have an empty piece of brass, just drop it into the chamber, close the bolt, and then see if the bolt will fully retract with the empty brass, that would at least eliminate the snap caps.

B

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use the a-zoom snap caps in all my rifles and shot guns, Never had a problem with them. I have them in my marlin 336, 1895 G , they work fine. I go with what the other guy's said, wrong assembly, bolt not right, try empty brass and let us know what happens. Also is your rifle a older J.M. rifle or a new Remlin. I have heard some of the problems they are having or had with the remlin, were with loading and unloading. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In your pitcture, it kind of looks like your extractor is getting wedged between the bolt and the receiver. Or at least, there is wear there.

Does the lever stop firm at the end of the forward stroke, or does it feel like it's hitting some resistance as it approaches its stopping point?

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

It's beginning to look like your snap caps are too long. If the case ( snap cap) hits the ejector before the snap cap clears the chamber the bolt stops.....just about as pictured in your photos. Your only issue may be the snap caps..............the rifle may be working just fine.

Another possibility is the ejector could be a bit longer than normal.......causing the eject event to happen too soon. Take the ejector out of the rifle and reassemble the rifle and try the snap caps. Does the bolt open all the way with the ejector out?

·
Registered
172 Posts

It's beginning to look like your snap caps are too long. If the case ( snap cap) hits the ejector before the snap cap clears the chamber the bolt stops.....just about as pictured in your photos. Your only issue may be the snap caps..............the rifle may be working just fine.

Another possibility is the ejector could be a bit longer than normal.......causing the eject event to happen too soon. Take the ejector out of the rifle and reassemble the rifle and try the snap caps. Does the bolt open all the way with the ejector out?
Do they make .45-110 snap caps? :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
WillD852... I'm with Bledsoe on this one. Same thing happened to me with a 336 in 38-55. The bullet had slid forward (Home made dummy round with a weak crimp), thus making the cartridge to long and the bullet would not clear the chamber on ejection. That stopped the bolt from fully opening...and it was a very firm "stop" to the bolt travel. Lift the extractor with a small screwdriver, and the bolt should slide all the way back. Double check the length of the snap-cap.

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thoroughly perplexed now after taking the advice of bbri4570 I dropped a virgin piece of brass in the action. The carrier lifted it, the bolt chambered it, the extractor pulled it out of the chamber, and the ejector tossed it out of the ejection port. Then I loaded a snap cap in the magazine tube, opened the lever, the carrier lifted the snap cap, the bolt chambered the snap cap, I lowered the hammer, I opened the lever, and I'm back at square one. The snap cap is extracted and captured by the bolt, but the bolt is not fully to the rear . Hence no ejection!!

The snap caps are one piece so there can be no movement of the bullet to lengthen them. They are all uniform length 2.49" so COAL should be a non-issue. The bolt opens to the point where the rim of the snap cap case lines up wth the end of the ejector.

I think I'll load some rounds and head to the range. If the fired cases eject like the empty virgin case I'll send the snap caps back. What I thought would be an aid in dry firing and checking the action's functioning has so far been an excercise in futility and frustration. I have become fairly adept at removing the bolt and ejector in pretty short order.

Cross your fingers gentlemen I'm fixing to start linging some lead, Will

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Amazing what a good "training session" we get with a new rifle when there are functioning problems. I learned a lot when I got my first lever action! :flute:

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

WillD, did you read 2oraffs post above? He said that if the cartridge nose did not clear the chamber it will lock up. Look at your own picture, is the cartridge clear of the chamber, NO, hence a jam.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'm thoroughly perplexed now after taking the advice of bbri4570 I dropped a virgin piece of brass in the action. The carrier lifted it, the bolt chambered it, the extractor pulled it out of the chamber, and the ejector tossed it out of the ejection port.
Without a bullet in that case, I don't think you're going to prove anything. Load up some dummy rounds and try to eject them.............then you'll have a better idea what illusive bug you are chasing.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
WillD852, I just went out to my bench and turned my ejector spring upside down and duplicated, exactly, the problem you showed in your picture. Your ejector spring is upside down, just like I said.

·
Registered
93 Posts
WillD852... When you got extraction and ejection of the empty cases, was the bolt all the way back or did it short stop as with the Snap Caps?
If the bolt opened all the way, the problem is the Snap Caps. If the bolt short stopped as it did with the SnapCaps, then the ejector is the most likely problem.
Keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts